Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

which essential oils are save to use?

I attended a sensory play course today, lots of fab ideas, one I really loved was a box of " smelly socks"......small socks, stuffed and sewn shut with drops of essential oils on for sensory play ....I asked which oils she used, lavender, gerainium and one other.....but are there some that can be harmfull if used with children? am going to look for some oils in town but don't want to spend too much on expensive oils that I can't use! :)

thanks in advance. x

Bergamot (Citrus bergamia)*

Cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica)**

Chamomile, Roman (Chamaemelum nobile)

Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens)

Frankincense (Boswellia carteri)

Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens)

Ginger (Zingiber officinale)

Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)

Lemon (Citrus limon)*

Mandarin (Citrus reticulata)*

Marjoram (Origanum majorana)

Melaleuca-Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia)

Orange (Citrus aurantium)*

Rose Otto (Rosa damascena)

Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)**

Rosewood (Aniba rosaeodora)

Sandalwood (Santalum album)

Thyme (Thumus vulgaris CT linalol)

Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata)

• Like 1

As with everything its all about how you risk assess. Lavender, for example, is quite a safe oil, however it should not be used for people with epilepsy, and I am allergic to a constituent of it, which oxidizes as it ages (Ok picked fresh form the garden but not in ANY other product).

Same with gernanium, and I find the smell too strong even one drop of it.

Mandarin oil is another fairly safe oil, but again, some people have a citrus allergy. Plus the citrus oils should not be used before exposure to sunlight.

Having said that, I have used a drop of eg peppermint oil, lavender, mandarin oil in playdough, with no adverse effects (mix it with the oil before adding), and I have added them to smelly bags etc, but replaced them/washed them often so they stay fresh.

Just check with your families about any history of allergies,epilepsy, before going ahead.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)