Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Disruptive child

I have a child who hits, kicks etc he is having an awful time at home so totally understand why it is happening. I am working with his parents as best I can but it goes in one ear out the other. My problem is one of the children's parents he has hit/scratched is really angry and is coming into see me tomorrow am to discuss the matter. My question is what can I do? I have followed all the procedures but unfortunately this child is a product of what is happening to him. A one to one may help but as a charity run playgroup we have not the finance for that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

• Like 1

Have you tried health visitor?

We are a charity run group but do have to provide one to one support (I have been observing a child all day today) for children that are hurting others. There is always 4 of us, so either one does it or we take it in turns. Do you do the ABC observations charts to find the triggers? If you are aware of what's happening it is easier to step in before it happens.

I would be angry if I was the other parent. I wouldn't want my child getting hurt repeatedly. They thought he was safe in your care. lots of apologies and the action you are taking.

• Like 1

Is the family having any support to help them with the issues they are having at home ? Do they have a family support worker ad they may be able to help both you and the family. In my area we can refer to the teaching advisory service for help with severe behaviour issues.

• Like 1

If child is having a difficult time at home that is extremely sad. Child therefore needs all your support at your setting. Never tell the child he/she is naughty, at their age they have no concept of being naughty and are reacting to events/poor discipline at home. If they misbehave remove them from the situation and talk quietly to the child, explaining that is not acceptable behaviour in the setting and why it is not acceptable. See if the child will apologise to the child he/she bit and explain why the apology is needed. Child needs to understand that behaviour at home is not acceptable in setting.

Tell parent that it is all in hand and child and parent has been spoken to and that you are now keeping a very close eye to ensure that it does not happen again. Apologise.

Ask Area Senco (LA) for advice if needs be.

Thank you everybody I had parents in today who have written a formal complaint about their child being hurt.

The child who is doing the hurting.I have a meeting with mum and headmaster Tues and we are going to suggest a CAF for him and his brother. I am going to follow the ABC Behaviour diary,has anybody tried anything different?

I would suggest speaking to area secco encourage for advice and help and behaviour management training for all staff . The abc approach is good for identifying triggers , if the child behaviour stems from influence from home , it may be this child needs emotional support and strategies in place to cope with his feelings and support in expressing his feelings. He/ she must be able to express frustration , anger , sadness , hurt and how to deal with those feelings. You may be able to apply for a crisis loan and with support from outside professionals an assessment could be made . Are you keeping diary / obs on this child? Are the parents using a consistent approach with the child Have you assisted them with this . Play plan in place ?

Contact your local children's centre as a starting point for parent workshop, outreach worker for the family , we work closely with ours to help parents . Be mindful that you do not disclose the child name to other parents when they have hurt , children will usually tell parents who did whatever to them but children with behaviour issues can become easily alienated aiding to self esteem issues they may already have.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)