Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

what do you do re; 2 x names?

How do you name children's work etc when you have a double up on names?

a) Simon S

B) Simon Smith

I need to know if I am being unreasonable with 'my' methods. :D

just edit to say - not sure where that face came from should say b ) Simon Smith !!

Edited by louby loo

To make it fully inclusive I would make all names 'Christian-name Surname', then all children will get the opportunity to recognise their surname before they go into compulsory schooling. What would happen if you had more than one Simon S?

We had 2 with same first and surname. Called them first and middle name. We have a lot of very similar sounding/seeing names this term. We have to write very clearly and speak directly to child concerned or you get several replies!.

korkycat

I'm of the full name brigade. Now Thinking may do this with all children like nikinora suggested.

When I did my training it was drummed into me that children were not name+initials, either first name or full names.

I know I wind my staff up with this, at my previous setting we would just put a 'secret ' mark somewhere discrete - sort of like a code, but all staff were on the same thinking so it worked well.

oh gosh ! well i was in a class with 2 others with my name and five Carolines...we just got used to watching the teacher!! seem to remember we always put our initials never bothered me! once the children start writing for themselves i do teach their full names

Full names every time...

Once had a litle girl who when she moved toschool they used the initial not full name and she ended up arguing with all that her name was Nicholeb(y) not Nichole because that is what they called her at school. The other child in class with same name did not have the surname letter added to her name.

We use first name and initial of surname but we don't call the children that, just use it on paintings etc. I did have to ask a member of staff not to differentiate between two children with the same name by calling them 'big X' and 'little X' ! :o

We put names with initial on the back, for display just first names. We never display surnames for safeguarding reasons. A few years ago we had 2 families that attended that had a war going on that as locals we were aware of. They attended differing sessions so never met good planning on our part if we had full names on displays they would have found out this would have opened a can of worms that would have been difficult to deal with. .

Also another parent who wished her child to be anonymous no photos or names disclosed as their was a historic child protection issue (a family member had tried to snatch child before she came to us ) mum was very strict about this and was afraid someone would find out where she was. I think it would have been a long shot but we followed her wishes .

Situations that made us relook at the way we did things though we don't give this info out for data protection we inadvertently gave the public full names by adding them to displays.

First name and surname unless you get lucky and have 2 children who use versions of their names ie an Olivia and a Livvy as we had.

We also had 2 Jasmines once but one preferred to be called Kylie (don't ask :blink: :huh: :o ) so that made things easier!!!!

One of our doubles are like that only 'we' as staff have been asked to use full name, whilst parents/relatives and all her friends use the nickname. Not really a issue for us - but oh..............it would be so much easier for her work, name pegs etc xDxD