Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff with a badly broken arm advise please :)

Hoping someone else has been in this situation and give some advice?

I have a staff member that broke her arm outside pre school, had operation and has four pins in it, this happened the last week of term and is still on high medication for pain.

We are. Pack away pre school and have tried to think of light duties for her however it's her right arm and is limited to her use of the left one.

Anyone else had similar issues I feel in our setting she would not only be a risk to herself but the children and other staff, we are very busy in January and have lots of new starters already booked, we are in a large hall and have an outside play policy normally in the woods or surrounding areas.

Anyone have any ideas? She does work full time only contacted for 8 hours term time only

OUCH!

Doesn't sound as if she will be fit to work for a while.

Once her arm is out of plaster I would imagine she will need physio so she could be out of action for some time yet, or at least need adjusted hours to facilitate her appointments.

If she is signed off, I doubt she will be insured to be at work anyway so you need to check all your policies etc.

• Like 2

Thank you these were my thoughts but didn't want to be seen as the big meany boss

YES it's a huge ouch she's a lovely lady and needs to earn money but I can't put the pre school and everyone else at risk I've racked my brains on how I can afford to have her in session but protect her and children

It's a real tricky one

Well I'd say, she'll either be fit for work and have a Drs recommendation re duties or be unfit for work and signed off? What does the fit note say? As the break would be possibly over 5 working days ago she'll need to be officially signed on or off work by now i would expect!

I'd be guided by the Drs judgement and possibly consider occupational health referral? What's your absence policy say re long term sick?

Cx

• Like 2

Thanks for relpies I have now spoken to the staff member and she fully understands she probably is unable to work. She is still in much pain and daily life is a struggle for her :(

We are checking insurance and looking for light duties once her pain is eased she knows she will be a risk to others and herself.but with the arm in a sling and fully plastered she has little choice we must all keep safe.

Sue

Finleysmaid - totally agree but just now going through the motions and trying to support my staff member

She will be too much of a risk in the setting I believe, and when stating light duties it may even be a matter of sticking photos in journals . This way she would still earn a little money if we could afford to pay her and her cover as she does not get ssp

It's a real tricky one as she has been with us for sometime and we work very well as a team helping each other out when personal issues arise.

However the children and staff working are my priority

She will not be returning until she has a fit note from her doctor.

She will not be returning until she has a fit note from her doctor.

I'm confused - She would need a "fit note" after 7 days off sick anyway - you are not signed off as such any more you are assessed as fit or not for work. without it she would be just absent, not sick? That will tell you if she has to have any reasonable adjustments or not, if assessed fit enough for work but not full duties.

https://www.gov.uk/taking-sick-leave

Cx

• Like 1