Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nativity Play malfunction

After quite a few years of churning out Nativity plays. A few lines, singing, a solo or a duet if we have confident children- and most importantly lots of tinsel so they look pretty.

The music failed, the member of staff supposed to do the music was ill, so another was drafted in at the last min and the computer that provides the music switched itself off twice during the performance, the wrong music was played, when any was played, and the micro phones (my development target of using more ICT) failed to work ...

All of which I could accept- I laughed to myself signalled at the children and like troopers they continued to perform - if slightly out of kilter- not unexpectedly ( the angels stared at me instead of dancing until the bossiest one cottoned on to dancing to completely the wrong music - and grabbed the others giving them loud instructions that made the parents laugh)

To be honest it was a Nativity performed by Reception - things go wrong! (we filmed it the day before to make sure we had a decent copy for parents).

The problem is that my head doesn't like mediocrity and didn't see the funny side, and in fact was quite narky about it.

Are we now to expect perfection?

Has anyone else had a Nativity disaster this week?

Thanks

x

Ours is next week and has the potential to go wrong at anytime!!

What a shame your Head didn't see the funny side, computers and music are my complete nightmare when performing in front of an audience. So much so we have drafted in an ex music teacher to play the piano for us instead. Take a deep breath and relax (until this time next year) :)

Bev x

After quite a few years of churning out Nativity plays. A few lines, singing, a solo or a duet if we have confident children- and most importantly lots of tinsel so they look pretty.

The music failed, the member of staff supposed to do the music was ill, so another was drafted in at the last min and the computer that provides the music switched itself off twice during the performance, the wrong music was played, when any was played, and the micro phones (my development target of using more ICT) failed to work ...

All of which I could accept- I laughed to myself signalled at the children and like troopers they continued to perform - if slightly out of kilter- not unexpectedly ( the angels stared at me instead of dancing until the bossiest one cottoned on to dancing to completely the wrong music - and grabbed the others giving them loud instructions that made the parents laugh)

To be honest it was a Nativity performed by Reception - things go wrong! (we filmed it the day before to make sure we had a decent copy for parents).

The problem is that my head doesn't like mediocrity and didn't see the funny side, and in fact was quite narky about it.

Are we now to expect perfection?

Has anyone else had a Nativity disaster this week?

Thanks

x

You should read the thread called Drama Queen - I think that will make you feel better!

For many the best are the when things are not perfect - it is the one parents will be talking about and remembering much longer .. and may well become a story told many times when the child is older.. remember when?

The one I always remember is when we hit the innkeeper over the head with a star we had on a broom pole- for the life of me I cannot remember why we had a star on a pole.. but he gave a big ouch and lay down - parents though we had knocked him out! But he was playing to the audience .. and got a big laugh when he sat up and smiled at them!

• Like 2

We have had quite a few moments over the years. One year a little girl who was mama in the story "'twas the night before Christmas" had her nightie on, but unbeknown to us, had actually got ready for really going to bed and had taken her knickers off.

We were all mortified when she decided to sit with her legs wide open, bless her. As you can imagine she was quickly taken off to be dressed. This little one is now 25, and we still recoil in horror.

• Like 1

Thanks! I am definitely feeling better now!

Maybe it is just the way that education is going that anything less than outstanding or good, even a Christmas play is now not acceptable.

The children thought they were great- and they were as they just kept going on. They sang Away in a Manger twice and some where definitely gearing up for the third time ... :rolleyes:

x

Well I bet your parents will remember it for many years to come. Challenge your head to do any better next year with a class of reception children. She will soon appreciate how difficult it can be. I think it is very, very sad that she feels like this, what on earth is the world coming to?? Go and read the Drama queen post in the coffee lounge, you will realise that EVERYBODY is in the same boat. Well done you for doing it and at least you can relax now it is over. :1b :1b

• Like 1

OMG....what is the matter with the head...if he/she wanted perfection then you should have got professionals in not small, tired, over excited, probably slightly terrified in some cases reception children...people have such unrealistic expectations...grrrrrr

Forget it and move on, I am sure you have other things to concentrate on with the children between now and the end of term.

For light relief read the Drama Queen thread here http://eyfs.info/forums/topic/38792-drama-queen/

And for a real belly laugh read this FSF article called Christmas Concerts xD :lol:

what a very stupid head. i expect she's key stage 2 orientated. ours is next week - nursery. god only knows if i'll be singing by myself as has happened on previous years - well it felt like it ....... and mine is not the most beautiful voice ... :blink: :huh: :P

it's an ordeal for small children, and doing anything is a success story - well done you! x

Lat year my head didn't even want reception to be involved in the nativity. The school I was working in do a whole KS1 nativity and lump reception in with KS1 all the time. The head thought the only role they should have was a short sing and then wait in the classroom for the rest of the evening as they were apparently a 'difficult year group'! Fortunately my KS1 leader asked my opinion and between us we cooked up a new style (for the school) nativity which mean all reception class children got to play to their strengths and take part in some way. We still got stick for how much time we spent rehearsing though so I've become expert in linking nativity play rehearsals to learning outcomes fro early years to justify the time!

You're so unlucky to have a humbug head - a couple of years ago one of the shepherds saw his mum, ran over to her and refused to come back and then one of the angels fell off the back of the stage and none of us noticed until somebody pointed it out! He still appeared at the end saying "They've all done very well" like old Mr Grace at Grace Brothers.

This year all our 46 Nursery children are narrating the story, a line each which they have all learned beautifully, and we were told at our 'dress rehearsal' yesterday that we will only have one hand-held microphone to pass around on the day. It's going to be such fun! :blink:

A couple of years ago our Foundation class Nativity involved the Wise Men doing a dance with their hands above their heads... one boy was dancing away when his trousers fell down!! We laughed... until we realised he didn't have any underwear on!! At which point we laughed even more!!

We're lucky that the little ones have the cute factor, and that the mistakes - which there are almost certain to be a few! - make it all the cuter. The parents will be happy with whatever they get, and surely that's all that matters!!

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)