Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children taking responsibility

At a staff meeting today encouraging children to become more independent and take responsibility for things like tidying away properly and maintaining their classroom environment or for getting out the resources they need to solve a problem, answer a question (we were talking specifically about maths but I suppose in anything). That good old phrase "at an age-appropriate level" was used.

I wondered what kind of things people expected from their children with regard to this? And if any of you have had the pleasure of different year groups I'd love to know how that expectation might change.

I often feel that I have quite high expectations in this respect but wonder if I'm over or underestimating them!

Hi Helen, we have been looking at independence through the school and what it looks like in different year groups. So far all we have discovered is that all teachers seem to have different expectations!!

A good tip a colleague of mine shared though for a reception class to help tidying up 'properly'. Take a photograph of each area tidy and stick it in the area. Instead of just expecting children to remember where things go they can look at the photo. I have photographed our role play area today that is a castle at the moment, and so tomorrow will see if this helps with tidy up time. Was also thinking it would help the adults to direct tidy up time a bit more efficiently.

Not sure I have answered your question,

Bev

Edited by broadlea

Thanks for the reply. I know only too well about the different teachers - different expectations. For us it seems that those of other teachers are lower than mine which makes me wonder if I'm being too 'mean' with the children. When it comes to tidying up I expect that they pick things up and that most of the things are put away in the correct places. I don't expect that the board games/puzzles etc. will be put away perfectly - they will all be shoved on a shelf in a cupboard. I know that I will end up having to 'remind' them about how to sort the materials used in our making area.

When it comes to getting resources for themselves I expect them to get things with suggestions and some guidance so to my year ones I might have said 'you might want a number line or some counters to help with this". I think the majority of the time they should just go and get what they need and they know when to ask permission. For example glue sticks are stored in one of my desk drawers - they aren't allowed to open those without asking because there are other things (my big, sharp scissors for example) they definitely can't use.

I don't have a problem with my class tidying at all - in fact I'm really proud of how they do it!

i have to say that i have really high expectations of all the children when it comes to independence skills....appropriate to their age of course! Tidying up is not the highest on my list...but i do expect them to look after 'their' toys in 'their' pre-school. We have free access to nearly everything scissors/glue/marbles etc etc ...i will only restrict the use of these if they are being used inappropriately. I ask them to get themselves dressed and undressed wash their hands, sort out their resources, set the tables, clear the lunch table ,put on their aprons, sweep up when they've made a mess etc etc ...from the age of 2 and a half. Really makes me cross when i send them to the next setting and they put their aprons on for them...tell me they can't do their shoes.....etc i only have one family grouping which helps because the littlies just do what the older ones do. ;) We do work on questioning and thinking techniques all the time though. You won't hear many of my colleagues telling a child what to do most of the time the answers appear to go ...welll what do you think you need now...or what coud you do next etc

• Like 2

no not just you...i have brought up the children at pre-school like i brought up my own! i get cross when they come in at 3 not being able to toliet themselves or put on their own shoes....im not cross with them of course....but with the principle! My children were toilet trained at 2 spoke in full sentences early and would NEVER have let me put their shoes on. So much so that i would have to leave an extra 5 minutes to get out when they had a new pair :D

Thank you so much. I have been very frustrated this term by the surprise people express when they see the independence of my children and also by seeing/hearing how others don't expect their (older) children to behave in a similar way. They moan about the children not doing things and I'm gritting my teeth because I know they did whatever it is with me!

Anyway, tempting though it is to start ranting there's been too much of that at work this week. So, maybe I should re-phrase my question. What does 'independence' look like at different ages? Is it the same just with varying degrees of success?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)