Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mud kitchens with reception class

Setting up mud kitchens seems to be very popular at the moment in early years and I can see why are they are so popular in nursery settings.

I have searched forums here and I wondered are there any reception class teachers setting up mud kitchens?

Thinking of having a go with my current class but want to make sure it's appropriate for age group. I'm sure some parents will be quizzing me bout this new venture! So I really need to feel fully informed about it's potential for learning.

Any advice please- eager to learn!

Have a look at this - lots of info on mud kitchens

.http://janwhitenaturalplay.wordpress.com/2012/06/11/make-a-mud-kitchen-for-mud-day-new-guidance-published-today/

I am at a nursery not a school so can't help on the reception side of things but I know our children love them and gain a lot from them. Our mud kitchen does get very messy so you might need to think about protective clothing. Ours wear waterproof dungarees and wellies.

Most of our primary schools have forest school, so use mud a lot and several have set up really good mud kitchens. I'd say it was a relevant activity for any 4 and 5 year old!

Cx

And 6 and 7 and 8 and 9....

Why are scenes from Glastonbury coming to mind? :P

• Like 1

We have a mud kitchen in reception. Apart from a few parents most are happy for children to get a bit of mud on them. We have waterproof trousers and jackets, it needed a lot of supervision to begin with and at the start of a new year, just to get the ground rules embedded, so without stopping their creativity the sand and water and other resources aren't trashed everyday. They can put water in if they want but we discouraged them from adding the mud to the water/sand trays. We also made up several different boxes so one day they might have teaspoons and sieves and then another day saucepans and wooden spoons. Hope you get yours up and running.

Bev

Thanks everyone for taking time to reply we now need to think carefully how we are going to organise our mud kitchen.

Any more words of wisdom?

Gretna

Edited by Guest

Hello

I have set up a mud kitchen for reception children. There is no doubt they love it and it engages and motivates. After the initial interest I was concerned how to ensure I continued to move learning on but it has been easier than I thought.

We have done recipes and installed a large blackboard for the children to write their recipes and menus. During Halloween we did magic potions. Now we are doing the three bears and have enhanced the mud kitchen with some herbs rosemary, lavender etc an we are making porridge in different sized pots. We have also found you can vary the type of mud - heavy clay soil great for modelling with very different from fine top soil.

Good luck hope you have lots of fun.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)