Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

little moment of triumph!

finleysmaid

We currently have a 3 .5 year old who started toilet training a couple of days ago...first day 8 sets of wet clothes ....yeasterday 6. Then i had a bit of a word!! I was fairly convinced it was him being a bit lazy ( and the parents perhaps? ;) ) today....every wee in the loo! :o

So at the end of the day he comes out of the door and announces to Mum in a VERY loud voice

"i did all my wees in the loo-loo"

This was followed by a spontaneous round of applause from all the parents waiting in the hall! ...i nearly cried then one of the Grannies said "what a very clever boy you are!" his smile was as big as a banana!

• Like 11

Our Head (the nursery is governor run) has asked everyone to think about their triumphs so we can celebrate together.........

I was thinking of celebrating that after 3 weeks of half hourly toileting when at nursery, one of our children was dry and clean from 9 -3pm!!!

Its the small successes that are so great!

• Like 3

im afraid it is getting more and more common for us to be toilet training (12 this term!) ...my children were dry at 2 now it is common for children to start after 3 and still not be dry. This little chap is in full days with us and it has taken us a few weeks to get to the point where he will follow instructions for us. I agree 3.5 is late but he only started with us just 6 weeks ago!

• Like 1

Goodness me why are parents leaving it so late? We take children from 2.5 and we do not accept them in nappies. They have to be well on there way to being trained. Think this gives the parents the incentive they need to get it started. Both my boys were trained by 2.5 cannot imagine why people leave it so late.

Goodness me why are parents leaving it so late? We take children from 2.5 and we do not accept them in nappies. They have to be well on there way to being trained. Think this gives the parents the incentive they need to get it started. Both my boys were trained by 2.5 cannot imagine why people leave it so late.

oh gosh this would be severely frowned on in our lea....we are not allowed to suggest they must be toilet trained before starting, as a matter of inclusion (i have some who will never be toilet trained)

i have no problem with a child not being toilet-trained if they have an additional need but i feel parents do not bother now. ours had to be dry by 3 to go to nursery so we had an incentive. parents don't even try and i feel they expect us to do it. we have 4 out of 32 in pull ups and i had to ask one of their mums to put her in them as she would say she needed a wee when she had actually wet herself, which was really unhygenic as we had no idea where the wee was, and did not have time to check everywhere!! if parents start the ball rolling we'll support here but only if they have some idea. 3 of 4 in pull ups soil and don't tell us and i spent 15 minutes changing one yesterday, as she couldn't dress herself after and needed 1-1 to keep on task of dressing. meanwhile 2 staff were trying to do activities with 31 other children between 3 rooms. we certainly get a raw deal compared to our children's nursery teachers ........... :(

i feel with how things are going we could do with a floater to deal with this and other things - child being poorly and waiting for someone to pick them up - can be waiting for half an hour or more. i'll put it on my wish list ......... x

Our admissions policy states that children will only be accepted wearing nappies in extenuating circumstances which includes any additional needs. I am aware that we may be flying close to the wind here with regards to inclusion. We tell parents that we do not expect them yo be dry but they must be well on their way. Never had one complaint in the last ten years about this and ALL children come to us well under way with toilet trainning.

I really did not realise that it was such a national problem. Makes me feel very sad that parents cannot be bothered these days but am counting my blessings with my parents.