Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

To charge or not to charge - when school is closed

steppingstones100

Hi, I run a nursery and an out of school club. So at our breakfast and after school club sessions, I have a mix of school children and preschool children. I ask for 7 days notice if parents want to cancel an out of school club session, in which case they are not charged.

I just wondered what other OOSCs do when the primary school is closed unexpectedly? For example, the recent strike day or when the school is closed due to bad weather. I usually remain open, even on snow days, as most of my team can walk to work. I can see it's not fair for parents to have to still pay for breakfast or after school club if the school is closed, but it's not fair to me either!

I also wondered what your policy is for planned closures (i.e. training days). Again, I remain open on those days as my preschool children still come. Should I automatically refund parents of school children for these sessions or should the onus be on parents to give me 7 days cancellation notice.

I really want to be fair, but also want to try and keep a business head on!

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Jo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)