Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Copying teachers script.

Our school have assumed weeks in which all children will write about the same topic across the school, for data and tracking purposes. Reception and nursery are expected to contribute too. As team leader I asked them to clarify exactly what they wanted to see from the early years. My 2 assistant heads have said that nursery can do mark making (phew!) but in reception the low ability should mark make, the top attempt their own writing (I can stomach this so far..) but the middle ability should be copying my script. I was told to write in yellow pen so they can go over it. Maybe I'm wrong but isn't this discouraged these days? I'm not suggesting it doesn't have a place for handwriting in a limited form but what will this show any one as an assessment for my kids writing. Never mind my views on a forced writing session 4 weeks in to term on a subject the kids may have have no interest in, and certainly doesn't come from their learning needs. Me and the other reception teacher are sure this isn't the best practice any more but now we are wondering...

Perhaps you should ask to see the progression of skills up into year 1 .....if they are expecting your children to trace over yellow letters, surely by this measure, year 1 children should be writing underneath the teacher's writing!? If they aren't...why not? Ah...that will be because it's pointless...point proved!

• 4 weeks later...

I agree there is alot of pressure to produce a measurable product especially in writing - as this is something that SLT understand.

But at this stage isn't scribing for the MA children sufficent? It will demonstrate their grasp and use of language as well as their use of grammar which even KS2 could use to moderate and comment on levels.

Often children will use signs, word cards and text from the classroom to copy when exploring writing, and lacking confidence in their own abilities.

Not sure if this is helpful!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)