Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Outcomes

Is anyone switching from development matters to Eay Years Outcomes to assess children? Like right now? Just with new starters I'm tempted to get on with it?

As they are the same, apart from the wording of a few (see other thread), there shouldn't
be any reason to leave the DMs document as it's more useful for staff familiarising them-

selves with how to work with them. I would not call them Development Matters though, and
would change the wording to the one Early Outcomes ones.

Edited by Wildflowers

I have been visited today by my early years advisor and she says that the new outcomes is a slimmer version of what we already have \(development matters) which for experienced practitioners is fine but for those newbies and up and coming early years staff this edition doesnt show you how you can develop the environment to meet these statements or what certain elements might look like.in a practical sense.

She was clearly unimpressed!!

• Like 1

The biggest problem I foresee is that without all the information and support given by the Development Matters document, settings will be tempted to use the new statements as a tick list to check what children can't do, rather than as a framework for supporting children's individual rates of development and ways of learning.

Obviously I'm not in practice any more, but if I was I would be strongly advocating that the current Development Matters document is continued to be used. I haven't done a line by line comparison but if the language in the new document is clearer and easier to understand then I might be tempted to include the new statements into my trackers. However I'd be very loathe indeed to rely solely on the new guidance.

• Like 1

Well we looked at it as a group today and you are spot on Maz, it was very difficult to explain to our young trainee (doing lvl3) how this was her document to work from....we are sticking to development matters. Thanks everyone.

• 5 months later...

I went on a training course for maths a couple of weeks ago and Early Years Outcomes was brought up. Our LA trainer told us that Ofsted only want you to be aware of the existance of EYO but using Development Matters is seen as better because of the pedagogical basis.

EYO is purely the Unique Child column of DM anyway. I prefer DM, it gives me ideas of what to do when I'm struggling to think how to evidence something.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)