Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Any help regarding observations and tracking would be much appreciated

Hi All,

I would love to hear the systems which people use to record observations and how these are used for tracking. I have recently moved to a new county into EYFS and the current system seems confusing and I would love to streamline the process to make things easier for everyone.

Currently the teachers, TAs and Nursery Nurses observe children and on every observation, whether long/short/spontaneous they note down all areas it links to and the ages and stages it hits (this is all noted on the observation paper) they then highlight the ages and stages on the individual profile in each child's learning journey and then place the observations into their learning journal, then the tracker is completed 1/2 termly using all info gathered.

What do others out there do? There has to be a more straightforward way!

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

• Like 1

Have you looked at Tapestry? It's a way of creating Learning Journeys/assessments/tracking progress online. We've been using for nearly a year and it's fantastic. Parents can log on to their child's Learning Journey and not only view observations but add their own as well. Assessments are done with a click of a button and progress is tracked automatically. It's well worth a look. You'll find lots of info on the forum about Tapestry.

Hi All,

I would love to hear the systems which people use to record observations and how these are used for tracking. I have recently moved to a new county into EYFS and the current system seems confusing and I would love to streamline the process to make things easier for everyone.

Currently the teachers, TAs and Nursery Nurses observe children and on every observation, whether long/short/spontaneous they note down all areas it links to and the ages and stages it hits (this is all noted on the observation paper) they then highlight the ages and stages on the individual profile in each child's learning journey and then place the observations into their learning journal, then the tracker is completed 1/2 termly using all info gathered.

What do others out there do? There has to be a more straightforward way!

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

That does seem like quite a lot! We do a similar thing to you in that we put areas of learning and age band it relates to on the observation. But remember that Development Matters is only a guide and so don't worry about linking it to it exactly all the time. We only record the overall ages/stages once a term but again it's a best-fit.

We were faced with the dreaded 'O' in June, and one of the things we were really praised on was our Learning Journeys and tracking of children so we must be doing something right! Not sure how well I've explained things though so if anything doesn't make sense let me know!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)