Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How do you plan for individual children

Still in a pickle over this....

How can I show that I am addressing the needs of each child in the setting if for example I have 40 children to think about?

I am panicking a bit as to what OFSTED want to see too as I have a feeling we are not far off an inspection :ph34r:

We still keep to a theme and have a couple of focus activities a week juts to add interest but its the individual bit I really want to get to grips with.

Thanks in anticipation.....

Skippy :D

Hi Skippy! We have listed the learning characteristics and abilities we consider being relevant and important for the children of this age.

When joining we see which of these things the child does (starting points/base line assessment), then continue to observe to see what

a child is about to learn (assessment and planning), later we see that they can do (progress). It's put together in a kind of a system which

enables us to see at a glance what opportunities to take to support an individual child's learning. We don't record what to do to support

the learning (actions) because we usually know it and/or discuss amongst us for ideas.

• Like 1

Great interpretation from Wildflowers.

We also have our continous provision which covers all areas of learning.

This is always our starting point and planning for the week.

Then within those areas the keypersons with their own group of children will add enhancements to support or extend individual learning styles.

From this we are able to discuss the resources needed for the children next.

So for example child A loves to play with cars, but never chooses to visit the creative or art area.

We would then perhaps take the cars that child A loves to play with to the paint table the following day, week, etc.

This could mean bringing out the same piece of equipment but using it in a totally different way, or simply putting resources away and choosing others if you feel the need.

Hope this helps.

My personal experience of Ofsted Sept 2012 was that they wished to see how you evidenced where children are in their learning and how you show next steps, progress etc. Just celebrate all you do with your wonderful children when they come a knocking and smile.:)

• Like 2

Thank you.

At the moment we have documented the next steps for each child which encompasses their interests, each child has their own sheet written by their key person. It's the showing on the weekly plan and knowing each child's needs are being met, and how to evidence this......or do we need to evidence ?

Is the system you currently used feel like its working for you all, then I wouldn't over complicate it or change it for change sake.

If you have your continous provision on your planning and the keyperson has each child's learning style then I'm sure your probably covering it.

Are you friendly with any other provisions, i have found it useful on occasions for other knowledgeable practitioners to come in and be a critic as it were.

Think we over think it sometimes.:)

The only thing I haven't got is recorded continuous provision. Children have access to resources and they are rotated but I do not record every item placed out as often the children choose. Maybe I need to think how to address this. Should it be on daily planning or just in each area of the room to show what's available ?

I only add enhancements to CP planning as our children also have access to resources and it would be pointless listing the same things each week

The only thing I haven't got is recorded continuous provision. Children have access to resources and they are rotated but I do not record every item placed out as often the children choose. Maybe I need to think how to address this. Should it be on daily planning or just in each area of the room to show what's available ?

Our weekly sheet shows enhancements to the continuous provision - in black I write things we get out, in green I add things the children choose to use if it is more than a passing interest. i.e. if little Johnny gets out the sorting transport, gives it a cursory glance, picks up a few cars then moves on I wouldn't write it but if he stayed for a while and set up a traffic jam sorting out the lorries from the cars from the fire engines etc... then I would note that on the plan in green (and if it was pertinent to his next steps add his initials.)

In terms of planned activities for specific children, at the bottom of each days column is a box for Activities to Support Next Steps. In here we note the activity and which children's next steps it relates to. On their own individual sheet the key person notes any activities they have done and any info about how the activity went.

Mel

x

I have attached my weekly plan which I print and blow up to A3 and then hand write enhancements to each area as per my post above.

The "Group Activities" box would include things like if a group were timetabled to use the library \ ICT suite \ Sensory room. i.e. things that are not part of CP but we like to introduce the children to or give them experience of.

In addition to this sheet I have the children's next steps on individual sheets which is just a four column table (one per child) with a column each for Area of Learning, Next Step, Activity & Notes \ Evaluation. When we either plan an activity of plan to support a child \ children with their next steps during their CI activity we would note it on their individual sheet and in the box which on the plan I uploaded is marked Adult led or supported. I uploaded the wrong version, this is my plan for the first couple of weeks. Once we start to get to know children and identify next steps the title of that box is changed to say Activities to support Next Steps.

Sorry that sounded awfully waffley but I hope it helped illustrate our planning process.

Mel

x

Timetable For Recording Weekly Activities - School name removed.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)