Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interest Board

Following on from Alistair Clegg's training I am planning to create an interests board for Reception. I have bought a large piece of hard board as I want it to be portable and the idea is to blu tac things the children bring in/draw etc on to it and each morning have a discussion around the interests board which will begin to inform planning etc.

The thing I am struggling with is what to call it as I want to put a title on top of the board but want to word it in a child friendly kind of way - didn't just want to call it 'Interests'. Any suggestions? I am struggling to get the creative brain working!

• Like 1

we had a learning wall.. similar idea.. had children's bits and then followed by what we had done in the setting..

We had the title... We love to... or We enjoy......

and then followed it with....................and we did.....

kept it very simple so the input stood out not the labelling of it..

Hi BagelFace

I haven't any good suggestions at the moment but wondered what the ABC conference was like? I'm due to go next Feb and am looking forward to it. However, I run a day nursery and hope that the conference isn't only aimed at school nursery and reception classes...

Sorry to butt in with irrelevant questions! :1b

Guest LornaW

What about o

"Our fascinations..." Great word and through use would become part of the children's own vocabulary. You could then expand on the word with synonyms such as .......

attraction, delight, captivation, enchantment,

LornaW

Love this. I'm having something silimar in September as we change to a more child led learning environment, but will use his idea of giving each child their own little space for display with a note from the child, a photo of them, and an obs etc from the adult who extended the learning.

This works at the moment as I have 24 children so can do 3 rows of 8, unsure what to do if we gain another as the board is rectangular!!

I think above my huge board (so it doesn't detract from the important stuff, but so others know what it is!) I'll title it

'We are fascinated by...'

Thanks Lorna!

I'm going to his conference in October or November (can't remember at the mo!), but so excited!

Lucie

Edited by Lucie

I'd love to give each child their own display space but in our Pre-school Room with all the part-time attenders we end up with 50 - 60 children so it's not really possible. If anyone has any bright ideas on how to get round this, I'd love to hear!

Thanks for all the suggestions - I like the idea of 'Our Fascinations' and have thought of something like 'Chatting Board' I bought a cut off piece of MDF from B&Q - it is pretty big and they cut it half for me as I think I will use the other half for a visual timetable or self registration! Not quite got my thoughts around those yet!

Beehive - Alistair's training was excellent (I have seen him 3 times now) and could be geared towards Reception or Nursery. I was inspired by the way he talked about structuring the day and bought his Continious Provision book which is excellent.

I'd love to give each child their own display space but in our Pre-school Room with all the part-time attenders we end up with 50 - 60 children so it's not really possible. If anyone has any bright ideas on how to get round this, I'd love to hear!

Instead of giving each child their own space, we have a communal space, a large wall and we give each child a peg with their photo on, they also get to decorate their peg. All the pegs are then displayed on a washing line for the children to get and attach their work, note, picture etc. I like it this way because then the children that do not want to put anything up are not highlighted by a designated part of the wall that is clearly empty.

Edited by Rufus
  • Like 2

not quite a display board but we ask children with their parents to decorate a pringle tube however they want and we put and so do the children their work in they wish to take home otherwise we have art books for children to put in any drawings or pictures etc , these go home at holidays for them to put in their tickets , drawings , places they visited etc

• Like 1

Thank you Rufus, that might well work for us! Just to clarify, if work is displayed on the washing line, what is the wall used for? Sorry if I'm being dim. :1b

No you are not being dim, I probably didn't fully explain. The washing line is stuck to the board and just has the pegs on. The children take the peg off pop it on their work then either they or an adult put it up on the board - which is child height.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)