Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

writing - development matters statement

garrison

Can someone tell me how you would interpret and observe this statement

"Distinguishes between the different marks they make" - how is this different to "sometimes gives meaning to marks as they draw or paint'

Thanks in advance

is the emphasis not on mark making on the first one...is in the sand says'look i done squiggle' where as the second refers to painting and drawing and is not only the tool use but also the fact that they are deliberately drawing painting something...ie have an idea in mind and trying to put down what they can'see' in their brain.

Below is my (mis-)interpretation of the three replies above.

DM: Distinguishes between the different marks they make

1. Describes marks they make as, e.g. long, curly, round

2. When making marks, knows that they are drawing, painting or writing

3. Identifies marks they make as e.g. squiggles

Perhaps explanation 1 and 3 are the same, if so or if not, which one?

DM: Sometimes gives meaning to marks as they draw or paint

1. Describes marks they make as representations of e.g. people, animals or objects

2. Describes marks they make as writing by giving it meaning

3. Makes marks to convey meaning

I find it worrying that many development matters are so ambiguous...

Well for me the dev matters statements follow what I studied in the development of writing in children at university, first the recognition that there is something called writing distinct from other mark making and then the attribution of meaning to these particular marks, which is distinct because the meaning is communicating to someone else.

Edited by catma

Yes it does but the writing developmental stage is that they recognise that there is a distinct thing that is writing not drawing. The essence of making marks is there from the start but it is the understanding of the distinct nature of writing as a communication that is "permanent" ie says the same thing which these statements describe for me. The very old book " the beginnings of writing" Nathan, Temple and Burris gives a great overview of the stages of writing development.

The Beginnings of Writing, Third Edition is the best illustrated single source on young children's writing development--from scribbles and invented spelling to composition. This new edition provides the most careful attention to children's development--to what the children are trying to do as they write. It improves on the earlier editions with more teaching suggestions for emergent literacy and detailed guidelines for making reading-writing connections in a productive learning environment.

Edited by catma
  • Like 1

Thanks Catma...fab advice as usual! only problem is these books are SO expensive....very difficult for pre-schools to keep up with techniques when they charge £50-£70 for a copy that's nearly a day and halfs pay for a member of staff . Perhaps i need to go and raid our local schools reference books...seems to me they usually sit in the staff room and are never used xDxD

wildflowers...the reason we have these conversations is exactly for that reason....perhaps the best form of moderation! :1b

*Distinguishes between the different marks they make.. I see this as a happening, a here and now.

*Sometimes gives meaning to marks as they draw or paint.. I see this as more of a thought process which can change as the marks are being made, but it's more 'planned'.

and of course must not forget a child's mathematical representation in mark making...

Thanks Catma...fab advice as usual! only problem is these books are SO expensive....very difficult for pre-schools to keep up with techniques when they charge £50-£70 for a copy that's nearly a day and halfs pay for a member of staff . Perhaps i need to go and raid our local schools reference books...seems to me they usually sit in the staff room and are never used xDxD

wildflowers...the reason we have these conversations is exactly for that reason....perhaps the best form of moderation! :1b

I know! Currently working off iPod so not able to check all details as I usually would. My copy is 33 years old!

Cx

Edited by catma

Or, finleysmaid, you can currently get the book on ebay for 99p 'buy it now'!! It's the second edition, but better than nothing?

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)