Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview questions

Hi All

Following on from a previous thread earlier in the week about my setting only having 2 staff each session, I have decided to employ an extra person for our most busiest session of the week (its all we can afford at the moment). We hope this will also help if one of us is ill or on a course etc. as she can cover for us.

I had previously advertised for bank staff and had 1 reply so I have decided to interview her first. She qualified last year to level 3 and lives local to the setting.

What key questions would you ask on the interview?

I've never done an interview before as I opened my setting with a friend.

Also, does anyone know how I go about getting her a DBS check done? I previously used TMG to do CRBs.

Thanks

I generally ask safeguarding, planning, children's development questions.

Could you start with offering a temporary contract, so that if you don't have enough children / person doesn't work you can part company at the end of period e.g. 6 months

You probably already know what qualities you are looking for so why not start there?

• Like 1

we ask about safe guarding, planning ,next steps for children, working as part of a team, what do they know about the setting and its ethos, how deal with inappropriate behaviour - cant remember what else - holiday brain

Edited by blondie
  • Like 1

you should ask questions about equal opportunities,,,part of being an equal op employer.

If you have written a job description then your questions should be based on this. remember to put in a trial period (so you can review and get rid if not working!) I always get them to come in and work with the children..observe them and then make a decision after that. I have had some people who are fab on paper but not on the job.

difficult to give you specific questions as i dont know how you operate and what is important to you...so for us we always have questions about sen/eal and behaviour.

could you take more children if you get her in or is that not a possibility?

• Like 1

Yes we can take more children if we get someone else- if we can get more children that is! We just don't seem to get them, the setting in the next village is Ofsted outstanding and they are not even full.

Yes we can take more children if we get someone else- if we can get more children that is! We just don't seem to get them, the setting in the next village is Ofsted outstanding and they are not even full.

Feeling your pain, in reference to the children

good luck with interviews

I have to say the most important bit for me is if you have them in for a whole session to work with you before you say they get the job.

I have had fantastic interviews, but once faced with the room, children and then an activity they've gone to pieces

• Like 2

I too agree as we have just lost a member of staff who in reflection was great in interview and on paper seemed good when visited but from now on we are going to ask for candidates to plan an activity and implement it . We sadly rejected an EYP who has now just taken another position so its back to the drawing board for us . hindsight being a wonderful thing , I should have taken her on in the first place.

I too agree as we have just lost a member of staff who in reflection was great in interview and on paper seemed good when visited but from now on we are going to ask for candidates to plan an activity and implement it . We sadly rejected an EYP who has now just taken another position so its back to the drawing board for us . hindsight being a wonderful thing , I should have taken her on in the first place.

Doesn't always work out! I had a teacher apply for a job when she interviewed she was extremely nervous but we forgave that and had her in for a session; we ask that they prepare an activity based for 3 children around a 30-50mths level in Maths (we chose the easiest children for them!) at this she was obviously brilliant but also we ask for them to bring a book to read at circle time and she went to pieces - the person who got the job was a level 3 and copied great with everything.

We had an EYP leader a few years back who had great imagination and flair, but didn't/couldn't manage staff, or do any of the more 'managerial' side of the job.

Doesn't always work having the higher qualified person, I'm sure the right person will come along :)

Doesn't always work out! I had a teacher apply for a job when she interviewed she was extremely nervous but we forgave that and had her in for a session; we ask that they prepare an activity based for 3 children around a 30-50mths level in Maths (we chose the easiest children for them!) at this she was obviously brilliant but also we ask for them to bring a book to read at circle time and she went to pieces - the person who got the job was a level 3 and copied great with everything.

We had an EYP leader a few years back who had great imagination and flair, but didn't/couldn't manage staff, or do any of the more 'managerial' side of the job.

Doesn't always work having the higher qualified person, I'm sure the right person will come along :)

no i agree - but she was good just at the time could not afford to take both on - now our numbers are rising - holidays here and so far several candidates that I can't even short list - really can't beleive how hard it is to get great staff especially when on here there are some fab people i would love to work alongside - if only the setting could run with virtual staff :D

• Like 2