Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff on committee

sadie19

Hi any advice please.

In my setting on the committee its always been known that staff members was not aloud to join although the preschool leader is on the committee and has a big say in what she wants to happen in my eyes it should the committee that makes the decisions. Now that the committee has lost a lot of members they have asked one of the staff to join as she has a child in the setting she is also the deputy. in my eyes this is a conflict of interests and its like 1 rule for 1 and 1 for another.

It depends on your constitution. We use the PLA one from 2011 which allows staff to be on the committee but not to hold officer roles. They also can't vote on certain things such as wages.

Our playleader has a lot of say in the running of the group because she's at the coalface whereas committee aren't necessarily there that often, nor at the moment can they all be gathered for meetings!

All our members sign a conflict of interest form and a confidentiality form. Have a look at 'governance pages' its a useful site.

• Like 1

We have 2 members of staff on our committee, one of which is myself as Leader.

I try wherever possible to not say too much but just advise when something is said that i think could really cause problems.

Before i became Leader I was one of the officers on the committee, at that time no staff would dream of being on the committee and it caused so many problems because comm members on the whole don't have a clue what they are doing!!

We have adopted the constitution that allows staff to be on committee.

Have to say even with 2 staff members we don't have enough people on our committee - so nowadays couldn't do with out staff on it!

That's why our staff are on thumperrabbit, can't get parents for love, shame we can't offer them money! ;)

Yeah if only - but then we don't have the money! :)

I'm dreading our AGM in September we only have 3 new families starting, what's the chance of all of them going straight onto committee? From those who are staying 1 parent is on committee and the rest have refused :(

We have this in Birmingham, people put themselves forward as volunteers and you choose who you'd like to join your organisation. You might have something similar :)

http://www.bvsc.org/

I haven't used them but I think I might have to look into it.

Yes I think we something similar around here Rea, BUT my PLA development worker has said that we MUST have a percentage of current parents, I only have 1 at the moment :( she said she would come and approach the parents herself!! Part of me doesn't know if that's a good idea as she is a pushy woman and could upset parents but then part of me thinks 'oh what the heck go for it'!!

i am on the committee as a staff member and think it works well - as i work in the setting i can give advise on things - i cannot vote on things like wage rises and am asked to leave the meeting when these things are discussed.

i think these days it is quite essential to have staff members on the committee as committee members change so frequently that you need some continuity. also in my experience i find that as the last term approaches the committee become less active and committed as they know their child is leaving so you need people to continue with things.

• Like 1

as supervisor i attend committee meetings- it is important as myself and the team are the ones running preschool - we were fortunate to have new members join and it is emphasised when parents join that their support is needed in order for preschool to stay open . Our new chair is already very proactive and we have employed an admin person to alleviate some of the duties of the chair to make the role more appealing.

Also the fact i got a bit emotional reading my supervisors report at the AGM may have helped and parents recognised the passion we hold in doing our jobs !

( surprised myself with the emotional bit - was purely accidental , not planned )

It is all down to the constitution....

ours said we could have the manager on the committee.. plus all staff had a vote at agm.. no idea how that got in there but was useful at times when committee really had no idea on what they were doing as they changed annually. This was set up before the PLA constitution that allowed staff on the committee...

These days I think you need at least one staff member on the committee to advise and guide as they often really have no idea at all on what to do, or make decisions that effect the setting in a negative way, there are so many rules and regulations to follow from so many different places that make it really a very hard job to do with no knowledge..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)