Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

observing staff and recording

Hi All

have been told by the Ofsted that despite observing my staff which I do regularly (offering any guidance at the time) and being able to talk freely about staff strengths and weakness's (proving I thought that I have been observing them) I need to 'write' all these observations down (whether there are problems or not) like we would do for the children really!! It seems without 'written' observations on my staff on top of supervision records (discussions etc...) the system is not robust enough!

I wonder if anyone has a pre forma for this before I go and design one?

I had supervision records
staff meeting records
and appraisal records
but no written observations of staff!!! :ph34r:
  • Like 1

Oh my goodness. Where will it ever end? This sounds like yet another example of one inspector wanting to see something that nobody else would ask for.

I have no written observations of my staff. I hope someone comes along who can be more helpful... :angry:

• Like 1

I am worrying about this too - we are due Ofsted and I expect they will pick me up on this.....I only have 3 staff and we have all worked together for years and feel comfortable with giving general verbal feedback as we go, but I have nothing in writing - apart from supervisions and appraisals. Where do I get the time to do all this paperwork, it's hard enough doing it for the children!!

Jo

Hi we have been doing these obs for a while on each other, we call them peer observations .As a manager I do them regularly on each room, but each member of staff in each room has to do 1 peer observations a week. Can be time consuming but gives staff a chance to look at each other's practice.

I am worrying about this too - we are due Ofsted and I expect they will pick me up on this.....I only have 3 staff and we have all worked together for years and feel comfortable with giving general verbal feedback as we go, but I have nothing in writing - apart from supervisions and appraisals. Where do I get the time to do all this paperwork, it's hard enough doing it for the children!!

Jo

this was our problem calicojo we know what each others strengths and weakness's are and we worked with that, as well as giving verbal support and feedback as we went along. I would normally only 'write' it up if I thought there was a problem and I needed the paper trail for evidence, which has happened in the past but never with my current team they are always really good. I do keep written records of supervisions and appraisals but not the observations. I can honestly say I have no idea if this is what every inspector will look for or just the one we had. I have been told to do them every half term and now have to try and organise time to come in out of ratio to get it all done!!!! :(

Can I ask Johanna1 is this in a preschool setting, school or nursery.

Sounds ridiculous to me, when will it all end:(

we are a pre-school setting, committee run (which they didn't like either, well I say they didn't like it they pointed out that it was a challenge to work in a committee led pre-school, which in some ways I guess it is) out of a hall so pack-away. We are revamping so much that we had been previously told was excellent practice, seems no one can quite make up their mind. :angry:

Hi we have been doing these obs for a while on each other, we call them peer observations .As a manager I do them regularly on each room, but each member of staff in each room has to do 1 peer observations a week. Can be time consuming but gives staff a chance to look at each other's practice.

can I ask parklands what do they look like do you have a particular pro forma for them? or do you just write what you see on a bit of paper? do you report on everything or do you have a focus?

Edited by Johanna1

Hiya,

I am new to this site so bear with me - but when I was completing my EYPS we were strongly encouraged to introduce these peer observations and record them regularly as part of evaluative practice.

So, I just created a table with a big box to make notes and a column down the side to link to various areas of skills, qualities and areas of the EYFS as relevant.

(I now also include the CEL as well).

Then, since it quite a basic format, you can write down whatever you like and then link it as relevant to each practitioner or area as you need to when you feedback you can show how many areas of effective practice the 'peer' has included and it's good evidence about being reflective.

Does that make any sense at all??? My assessor loved them but my first version of this was back in 2008 so I have updated a few times!

I think even 5 or 10 minutes of observation being noted down and scanned/filed would be great evidence. But, as you say it's so hard to find the time too!!

Nicola

thanks for that Nicola basic formats are definitely my way :ph34r:. Was thinking about having area's of learning and COL's that could be highlighted bit like we do with the children with a big box for context of observation and notes. Didn't know if this would be too simple or if this would fit the bill, things could be quickly highlighted/or circled as you observe.

When you did you training did they say for every staff member to record an observation of everyone else or just for managers and supervisors (don't want to do all this work and put in the hours doing them for Ofsted to come back next time and say still haven't done enough as everyone should be doing it :o )

Ok, no problem - i'm happy to help if I can!

I reckon yes, on the form itself use tick boxes or a way to show what is relevant to that observation would be good but simple and even 2 to a page or maybe 4.

They are kind of like the children's ones really - to show notes/evidence and then provide an assessment for what the observation actually tells us.

I would say that everyone needs to do them...I get my staff to do them on me too when i'm with the children. I think, it's kind of a rota - everyone needs to do one and needs one done on them, the more practice the better.

You could always do some informally and then choose which significant ones you want to or need to write down and have a tick chart on the wall for each half term to make sure everyone's ticked off in each column (Done by them and done about them)?

If it's visual and everyone can see it - I use laminates and white board pens, then you can see on potentially calmer or quieter days (amongst the million other things) that one could get done?

Get the staff to take ownership of doing them and to see the benefits of them for their own CPD and strengths - they could be good to use in appraisals?

If the room leader or as a team they are given the job to manage them per room, you can still be doing them on staff but they have more of an idea of when they happen and who has done what?

What do you think?

I am surprised they put so much focus on this!! But they are so harping on about evaluative practice, being reflective and everything a lot lot more now.

Good luck!!

Thanks Sue there was loads here that was really interesting. I liked the plus, minus and interesting in the thinking approach article. I wonder if the staff might not like the connotations of minus (my staff are a little sensitive lol) but if they understood the concept this would work really well and is so simple but effective.

Thanks again xx

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Can anyone share thier observation form as i'm trying to find a simple one to use as I too do them but not record them officially!

I h.ave initially used one from Every Child a Talker - but I have found it needs tweeting. Will pop back and download later on

Every Child a Talker Observation of Practitioner Skills.docx

Edited by Panders

thanks for sharing panders. Not sure I want to share mine now sooo different lol here it is!

I do hand write on any areas of learning or characteristics of learning that I see and also we are now using the Leuven scale so I add what the children's well being and involvement scores would be through the observation.

peer observation.coaching proforma.docx