Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

i need help (the challenges facing early years)

hi all,

i am after a bit of help.

i have an interview for an operational manager position i have to give a verbal presentation the title is 'the challeges facing early years' this is such broad topic. can anybody help me with how they would go about this and what would they put in or talk about.

this would be soooooooo appreciated.

Off the top of my head and only because nobody more knowledgeable has answered...

Liz Truss' More Great Childcare Bill? Ratio changes, Requirement for increased flexibility, Childcare and education being accessed in various different settings, Changing focus from care to education. Is this the kind of thing?

Best of luck with your interview,

Honey

Hi firstly good luck with your interview.:)

How about the " more education less play" for the Early Years sector, and it's implications.

Another challenge facing many families depending on their geographical region is childcare places for under fives.

Then you have the more obvious ones as more proposed cuts to the Early Years sector.

Thank you. I think we're all on the same mind track.

Yes, my problem is what definitely to say and what not. I was thinking of beginning with issues from more great childcare, proposals ect

Then but then focusing on certain things.

What do you think about the focus on the 2 year offer and free entitlement. Pros and cons, the problems this may bring for practitioner, some of these poor children come with issues/baggage. The sustainability for owners whilst the funding doesn't cover the daily costs. Things like that

Sorry it seems like I've answered my own question but more heads and ideas are better than one.

Although I don't want it all to sound doom and gloom there has to be some positive points for the future.

Keep them coming please

• Like 1

"What do you think about the focus on the 2 year offer and free entitlement. Pros and cons, the problems this may bring for practitioner, some of these poor children come with issues/baggage. The sustainability for owners whilst the funding doesn't cover the daily costs"

We have found so far that what we get for a funded 2 year old hasn't covered the expense of having them in the setting, as you say they come with baggage, time is taken out of setting to go to cp conferences, core meetings, hosting TAC meetings....no one is paying for that or the travelling expenses to get to them, they have needed higher levels of support in setting than other 2 year olds, stretching staff and meaning less attention for all the other children ( no inclusion funding for behavioural needs)I also find a lot more of my time is also spent supporting the parent/s than ever before, and now with the changes to 2 year funding parents keep telling me that they've been told to get the referral forms from the setting they want the child to attend....so we have to print them off and give them (whether they then do anything with them or not) and guess what our county has designed a beautiful coloured double sided x2 sheets of A4 to form a leaflet......and who's covering the printing cost of all that ??? NOT BL**DY THEM !!!

Sorry if that wasn't what you wanted.....will get off the soapbox now :/

• Like 1

you need to pitch this at the company you are going to work for...study them , go and find what their opinions are on the internet...have they been involved in any action projects/research etc then you will have an idea as to what their motivation is...money? quality? training? etc etc this will give you more of an idea as to where to go with your presentation so that you are pitching to them and their ethos...not you and your ethos!

• Like 3

I think I'd go along the lines of the early years sector going through so many changes on a frequent basis- yet we find ways to cope, and continually assess and improve our practice. :1b

• Like 1

I was a;so thinking of the constant changes.. before we get settled it has all changed again.. and we all adapt to it in as best a way we can.. for changes to be made again.. ( In all the years I worked in the sector I never had an Ofsted that was using the same regulations as the last one.. every inspection was under a different set of rules... )

this also applies to the qualifications, constantly changing, by the time you get one the next is out and while it is always said they are equivalent.. are they really?

• Like 1

thank you everybody this is helping so much,

good idea finleysmaid, the job is working in a childrens centre connected to local solutions which is a charity based service, so i surpose mentioning the downside of 2 year funding but putting a positive spin on it aswell my work in my favour.

can anybody give me any good/positive challenges for the future. possibly just to end mmy presentaation in a good light.

or i may pick certain issues and keep it balanced, maybe giving the pros then filipping to cons.