Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inspiration For Writing Activity.

Hiya,

I really could do with picking someones brains....so to speak. I am desperate to find inspiration for how to motivate boys and girls to pick up any kind of mark making tool. I've tried the pirate adventure/come message in abottle. I've done the magic fairy that leaves messages to death!!!!! I'm hoping that there's someone who is incredibly creative that can give me some simple ideas. You know contexts.... ideas of captivating interest and instigating a willingness to want to try to mark make......I know this is probably the 100-1 request but I'm sure that thers some inspiration out there. Completely exhausted Emma :o

How about mark making in things like sand and shaving foam- anything messy and easily changed if you make a mistake.

have you thought of things like simple senarios for your role play corner such as writing lists, organising a party, get the children to write the lists and invites then actually have a small party?

Is it a reception class or older?

It is very early in the year for a lot of independent mark making in reception.

One thing I bought that really encouraged markmaking was different shaped notebooks and gel pens in a range of colours.

Hope these are useful and don't worry mark making will develop as the year progresses.

L

Hiya,

I really could do with picking someones brains....so to speak. I am desperate to find inspiration for how to motivate boys and girls to pick up any kind of mark making tool. I've tried the pirate adventure/come message in abottle. I've done the magic fairy that leaves messages to death!!!!! I'm hoping that there's someone who is incredibly creative that can give me some simple ideas. You know contexts.... ideas of captivating interest and instigating a willingness to want to try to mark make......I know this is probably the 100-1 request but I'm sure that thers some inspiration out there. Completely exhausted Emma :o

39202[/snapback]

we have in the past had bob the buliders office, to encourage our boys to write the girls in our setting are always writing we had clips borads everywhere . the children in my setting like making shapes in the sand and shaving foam. we also have writing proformers everywhere if i can work out how to insert anything i can post these to you.

Our children really enjoy having telephones, diarys, notebooks etc with the writing materials, they often spend a long time 'writing' in these. they also migrate this to laying on the floor to draw which when left to continue can produce lots of opportunities.

we also add items like travel brochures (where could i go on holiday, or where staff or children have been), leaflets form post offices with spaces and lines to 'fill in', house details from estate agents are also popular (this surprised us a little)

as said before by Lorna marks in sand (or flour which is very messy, everyone goes home looking like snowmen!) on a tray on the table. use fingers or tools you find to hand, lolly sticks, or straws both work well.

we also invested in some of those magnetic writing boards, they love the fact that it is is easily gone and they can start again. many a long time spent with these, they are used daily. (ask parents if they have any at home not being used. we had 2 donated this way)

We also ensure home corner also has items in it for taking notes, books, telephone directory, diary calender etc. It is surprising how much is done in the area unobserved. We just look in the books at the end of a session.

Send post cards home we take our children to post them at the local postbox in pairs and parents love the surprise of the card when it arrives. Not many children actually say they have done this!

just a few ideas must be many more, we tery tro keep it simple and in a way they can relate to things they may se happen at home or outside the setting.

it often helps if an adult just sits and does some writing or recording for the setting in the area..(modelling behavour you would like to see from the children) the number of times I sit to write out observations or notes and never get further than the first line because I am joined by a table full of children.

Inge

We have clipboards and dif sorts of paper - graph/lined etc at construction activities for children to plan/draw their creations.

Paper sellotaped to tables -children draw roads etc for toy cars

(Chalk in outside area for same).

Outside, tick list/sign up to use bikes etc

painting the (outside) walls/fence with water this can be developed into making patterns

rolls of wallpaper pinned to fence- nice messy painting activity

paint rollers up/down /side to side

We ask different child each week to draw a picture of a story they have enjoyed to be displayed on the notice board. We talk about picture and either adult writes child's comments or child does (with explanatory notes from adult!)

Look to the outside. Where are the children working - what are they intereted in. How can you suport this with mark making resources. E.g. they start to build a castle. So they need a flag. They might need a sign for the door to warn of the dragon/giant inside. The residents of the castle need a spell to ward off some danger......etc etc.

Cx

I find just sitting in the writing area and writing encourages chidren to come and see what i am doing and then they have a go too. I find writing to a story character really works. It is crucual to this that the character writes back each day mentioning some names if they have had a go. Often the children only draw pictures or do lots of emergent squiggles, but you can use the replies to ask a question, and also to say things like 'I don't know who it was from...but..' and then discuss with the children what they can do to tell the character who the letter is from.

I have found that individual whiteboards with markers and cloths to wipe clean are a huge success. We just put them out and even the reluctant boys spend ages "writing" on them. Just this week they were using the Jolly Phonics letters we'd done to try and make words - and that was the boys!!!

xD Excellent Geraldine I might just start posting back using the freepost envelopes :o . Junk mail drives me mad and is such a waste of paper.

xD  :D  :(  :D  :(  :D  :(  :D  :wacko:  :D  :o

Thats such a god idea Geraldine and really made me smile big time.... just what the doctor ordered!

39309[/snapback]

How about a cafe with Mrs Wobble the waitress???(Alan Ahlberg story) the children can 'write ' the menus , take the customers orders and give out the bills.you could also set this up as a fund-raiser........get the children to make cakes and biscuits which they can then sell back to adoring parents...having taken down their orders first, of course!the role-play area could be set up beautifully as the cafe, chalk board menu on the'pavement'etc(maybe someone would lend you an a-board.our local co-op were very kind and gave us an old one)they can dress up as waiter/resses as well. :)

Hi,

similar idea to Lorna and so successful last year. We had a VERY helpful and creative parent who cut and staped together these wonderful little 'shaped' books - in the shapes of dinosaurs, princesses, boats, trains, cars, dolphins etc. The children loved them - and we had some wonderful 'stories' in them.

Just read all the other posts - what fantastic ideas, thanks everyone!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)