Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Quick capacity question

When you are teaching capacity do you use the word capacity with the children? How do you explain it? Eg do you say 'We are trying to find out which container has the largest capacity?' Then explain 'So which container holds the most water?'

Also, would you say 'we are learning about the capacity of containers today?'

Sorry brain dead today.

I would be more inclined to talk about how much the container holds rather than the word capacity. then maybe i'd introduce the word later on in the week, children tend to like to use the proper words for things.

Deb

I think children need to hear the correct mathematical terminology and as they develop their understanding of the concepts behind the words - some will use it and others won't but at least they know what it relates to when they hear it again. It's the same with any mathematical vocabulary really I think. It's about understanding that capacity is just how much something can hold - whatever that unit might be...

• Like 1

Guest LornaW

Children love new and ubuasual words so totally agree with catma use the correct vocab!

Never dumb it down for children!

LornaW

We've listed the concepts to model and listen for to find out if the children use,

as the EYFS "use basic concepts" and "use more abstract concepts" were too.

The National Strategies list you mentioned, Catma, seems useful. Do you have

a link? Thanks!

Children love new and ubuasual words so totally agree with catma use the correct vocab!

Never dumb it down for children!

LornaW

I can still remember the thrill when I was finally able to pronounce 'woolworths' :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)