Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Community Centre Committee Advice?

Hi again. We run our nursery from a community centre, which obviously has a committee, which is also a charity status?

The Community Association (committee) basically run the community centre. I am now a newly elected member of the commiittee, and we had our 1st committee meeting last night. During this meeting i read the Constitution, Code of Coduct, and was asked to sign a confidentiality form so i am not allowed to discuss contents or share minutes of the meeting. It is not in the constitution or the code of conduct about the confidentiality aggreement, and i had many questions as to why i need to sign this, when i was under the assumption a community centre should allow members of the local vacinity to attend, and it was open knowledge. Except anything that was confidential should be conducted in a seperate meeting maybe?

I just wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts on this.. some things i have seen could ultimately effect my nursery, but i am not allowed to act or share this information with my partners etc!!

Hi Mr B - well, I'm so pleased to read that you have joined the Committee :1b

Have never heard of a committee such as this requiring members to sign a 'confidentiality form' - all sounds quite odd to me :blink: However, I can understand why meetings are 'closed' - I think that's the 'norm' - the only meeting that needs to be 'open' to all is the AGM......

What a dilemma for you - I've been no help at all really - just waffled on - nothing new there then! :D

Edit - to correct some very 'wafty' spelling!!!!!!!!!

Edited by sunnyday

Our committee sign to agree anything they hear relating to children is confidential but not that the whole meeting is unless specifically told at the start. Anything really confidential such as safeguarding or staff employment would be done with certain people on a need to know basis. I prefer everyone to know the kind of things we discuss I case it sparks an interest. (I am at heart an optimist)

Hi I am on the management committee of or village hall as our playgroup is one of the main users of the hall. I have never been asked to sign a confidentiality agreement or told not to discuss what goes on at meetings. Obviously, as already stated, if there are matters which should be kept confidential then we are told this at the time of the meeting and the confidential items are minuted separately. I would say that if the Code of Conduct or Constitution does not state that you need to sign a confidentiality agreement then you should not have to - only my opinion.

Our committee sign to agree anything they hear relating to children is confidential but not that the whole meeting is unless specifically told at the start. Anything really confidential such as safeguarding or staff employment would be done with certain people on a need to know basis. I prefer everyone to know the kind of things we discuss I case it sparks an interest. (I am at heart an optimist)

Rea - Mr B is not talking about a committee for nursery/pre-school - at least I don't think so :blink: - he is talking about a committee of management type thingy for his building :1b

Rea - Mr B is not talking about a committee for nursery/pre-school - at least I don't think so :blink: - he is talking about a committee of management type thingy for his building :1b

I know, but i was typing on my phone so I cant always be bothered to go into detail! :D

Certainly never had confidentiality at our Building Committee either. What could they have to discuss that neede to be kept so confidentially? Our meetings are usually so dull we spend half an hour debating who will buy the battery for the clock! Maybe I should keep that confidential - it might be putting off new committee members!

Thank you Thank you Thank you, my thoughts exactly.. something very fishy is going on..

I have to add this community centre is a council building, and we have a very keen local councillor basically controlling the Chair lady of our committee! The chairlady is quite new and hasn't a clue to be honest!!

This local councillor is the mother of a couple who run a group in the community centre, but no declaration of interest has been made, and this local councillor now has to be at every meeting, although she isnt allowed to be on the committee!!!! We as a committee have to obide by an agreement made by the council naturally and the local councillor has been "sent in" to "help" and to do reports on the committee? I actually don't believe this local councillor should be involved more than neccesary (at least 4 meetings per year it states) and she or even dare i say it, the council have there own means!!

Thank you all :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)