Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

accountancy fees

A couple of years ago we changed our accountant due to cost. This year we've just received a bill for £572! Can I ask how much other people pay and who you use? Our committee is pretty much made of me and the staff, no real treasurer so we're not really in a position to do much ourselves.

I think it depends how much they do. I have a bookkeeper who charges me £130 per month to do wages for 17 staff (I email her the hours at the end of the month and she emails me the payslips, then I pay the staff by BACS) She also prepares all the work ready for the accountant to file the tax return in January. So she collects a box file of invoices, receipts, bank credits etc. and then sends the 'end result' to the accountant once a year. I don't pay the accountant much as he only files the tax return. Its cheaper to pay a bookkeeper to do this than an accountant. I could do it myself but its well worth the money as I just don't have time.

Don't know really Maz. One of our staff keeps receipts, does a spreadsheet of all in and out then just passes it across. Pretty much what you do I think Beehive. We found this accountant after searching online and being recommended to her. Its a CIC, so we presumed it would be cheaper. Our previous accountant charged £920 on the last bill which is why we thought this one was cheaper but really she's taking the mick I think.

Edited by Rea

I think it is important to know how much your accountancy bill is going to be and what they're doing for the money. Otherwise, they could charge you anything they like and you'd be running up a big bill and be none the wiser. Rea if you think your set up is much like Beehive's then you're getting a good deal by the sounds of it. Although, I'm not sure whether doing the wages is included in your invoice, obviously.

Either way, it sounds like you need to ask some fundamental questions!

Our accountant does our payroll too but we get charged monthly for that, this bill was just the end of year thingymyjig.

Another job to add to the already partly ignored list!

Guest sn0wdr0p

I have ten staff and my accountant does all the wages for me same way as for Beehive then end of year stuff for the taxman as well. I get charged £200 for the whole years work.

We have/had ex-parent/treasurer who is an accountant has done ours for the last 4 years; and we have always just given her a gift token as she didn't want payment.

BUT this doesn't always work out well, as last years accounts still haven't been checked as she is so busy, and we are now overdue with the Charity Commission report :(

I have ten staff and my accountant does all the wages for me same way as for Beehive then end of year stuff for the taxman as well. I get charged £200 for the whole years work.

You're paying considerably less for a whole year than I do for two months!! You're onto a good deal Snowdrop! :1b

Blimey yours all seem cheap! I pay £1490 per annum for end of year and payroll for 6 staff. I am meeting a potential new one next week who has been recommended and she's a little cheaper (around £100) over the year.

Mine is a limited company not a committee run setting so maybe that's why.

We have/had ex-parent/treasurer who is an accountant has done ours for the last 4 years; and we have always just given her a gift token as she didn't want payment.

BUT this doesn't always work out well, as last years accounts still haven't been checked as she is so busy, and we are now overdue with the Charity Commission report :(

Just checked on the CC site, we're 338 days late!

You can search charities in your area and it shows how late everyone else is too. Beavers, cubs, toddler groups, church groups all sorts, as soon as I saw I wasnt the only one, I stopped worrying :D

• Like 2

Blimey yours all seem cheap! I pay £1490 per annum for end of year and payroll for 6 staff. I am meeting a potential new one next week who has been recommended and she's a little cheaper (around £100) over the year.

Mine is a limited company not a committee run setting so maybe that's why.

I am a sole trader (I own the business, no committee) but I find it quite worrying that there is such a huge variation in prices. From more or less nothing to £200 to £1490! It makes me wonder who is getting a good deal and who is being ripped off! :huh:

• Like 1

Think its a personal thing, if you are happy with the service you have paid for then the price is immaterial. I pay £500 a year as a sole trader for my accountant to do my end of year returns and I pay up without any qualms as the peace of mind is worth every penny. I did, however, have a good idea of what costs would be as I asked for a quote and breakdown of the service provided beforehand

Guest sn0wdr0p

After reading what everyone else is paying I agree I am pretty lucky.

I am a sole trader. I think I get a good deal because my husband uses the same accountant for his businesses which bring in a considerable amount more than me. My husband needs audited accounts for his companies and in total he pays about £3000 a year.