Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Understanding the World-Technology

Hi

How do you all address the strand within 30-50 months of Technology- 'Knows that information can be retrieved from computers'?

The children have access to computers but are not internet ready. We do however have on in the office which is. I wondered how you all promote this? :blink:

Like you it's only the office PC online ....so I often have children visit the office (which is open from playroom)wanting to look for things that they've seen or asked about, as staff we do encourage them to find things out using PC....this usually leads to half a dozen or more wanting to help print things, photocopy things, use the paper cutter to slice up anything that isn't nailed down or just have a spin in the chair....I don't get much done but they gets lots from it, I usually have to call time when there are more children in the office than left in playroom !

We have no access to computers, however in full view of all I do allow some use of my iPhone. Failing that this is one area when we just ask the parents and make it clear in their LJs where the info comes from

I too use evidence from home (our computers broken at the moment!!!) But i have children who will tell me what they have done on the ipad at home and one little lad who is really in to insects ...he will often come in and say "Mom and i were looking at earwigs on the laptop yesterday.....do you know they....." so he is not only retreving information but is able to retain and use at a later date.

One of our questions on entry is about access to IT so that helps us to pitch to the right level. I do also take my laptop into the classroom, the children like to access you tube and play nursery rhymes (i have to monitor carefully though!!)

Just to say the little chap is American hence the MOM not Mum!

Edited by finleysmaid
  • Like 1

I too use evidence from home (our computers broken at the moment!!!) But i have children who will tell me what they have done on the ipad at home and one little lad who is really in to insects ...he will often come in and say "Mom and i were looking at earwigs on the laptop yesterday.....do you know they....." so he is not only retreving information but is able to retain and use at a later date.

One of our questions on entry is about access to IT so that helps us to pitch to the right level. I do also take my laptop into the classroom, the children like to access you tube and play nursery rhymes (i have to monitor carefully though!!)

Just to say the little chap is American hence the MOM not Mum!

Hadn't thought about using the entry. Info - so thanks for that Finleysmaid! I wish owners of our hall would get broadband installed I did have hopes with change of management but new ones are even less techno than the last! They do have computers in their offices downstairs just not Internet darn it.

We have internet access - and the children use it confidently, but could you, just as easily, use a CD-ROM or information from your memory stick? I wouldn't read the statement as being solely information from the internet.

x

My children were very interested in my 'memory stick' (and ensuing information about it) when I used it to transfer a downloaded Youtube clip recently.

Edited by Guest

Hadn't thought about using the entry. Info - so thanks for that Finleysmaid! I wish owners of our hall would get broadband installed I did have hopes with change of management but new ones are even less techno than the last! They do have computers in their offices downstairs just not Internet darn it.

could you organise internet through a phone company on a dongle? just plug in and play....it is then up to you to sort out and if you already have a mobile phone for emergencies it could be a really easy option!

I have used it from a simple phrase in the past when a child said to me "Is that the newsletter?" when he looked in his tray "My Mummy read that on the computer" because he'd spotted a particular image on the newsletter that he remembered.

Just the odd few. Sometimes I feel we should give them a quiz and give a prize for the most correct answers! As it is, Cait has resorted to offering a prize for questionnaire returns!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)