Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Video And Photographs Of Children

Guest Brook

Hello there. I am wondering what policies you all adopt for getting permission from parents to video or photograph their children?

Do you ask personal permission from parents in the form of a letter that they sign (opting in) or assume that approval is the default and they then have to state in writing that they DON'T approve? (opting out). We have until recently always done the former, we always produce a letter every year asking for permisson for photos and video of children to be used in school. Most of our parenst are happy with this as long as it is for in school only.

A recent event has arisen that would mean photos of children being available very publicly and the Head has decided to assume consent unless parents informed her otherwise. This went out in a letter asking parents to put in writing any objections. The publicity that will arise from this event is of an extremely sensitive nature to many of our families.

My concerns are.

1. if asked for permission directly, we know they would not give it due to the sensitive nature of the publicity.

2. many of our parents do not speak or read English and therefore have difficulty accessing the information in the letter.

3. the letters were sent home with the chidlren, some of which I am sure will have not got home.

4.not all teachers are vigilant about absent chidlren so some families may have not received the letters.

I am unhappy about this situation but would welcome your opinions.

We send a letter out to the parents when the children first start school which the parents then sign - this is for school use only. And this is valid from when they start till when they leave. If there are outside agencies involved or it is for out of school publicity then we send another letter eg we had one of our ex-teachers who wanted to video the children for evidence during a course.

I wouldn't be happy about outside publicity without express consent

Jo

Hi all,

We have a standard permission on reg. form, but this is clearly shown as for setting only use anything else, we go back to the parents with a 'subject-specific' letter, explaining the ins and outs of that particular event, space for signing 'yea or nay'. If we aren't sure, we don't include the children where there is uncertainty - that means if we haven't received any answer from parents, as well as when permission is not given.

You are quite right, Ruthanne, it comes under child protection and it's an extremely important aspect!

Sue :D

Sounds interesting, Ruthanne but I cant open it!

Brook, I think I would have the same concerns as you seem to have re photos etc in the public domain. For school use we used to opt out, I think although we may have put a clause in the home school agreement which would have been valid for child's time at school. As I am supply teaching at the moment I cant be more specific.

As almost everyone else...signed permission to take photos when the child starts for photos in the setting....we also ask specific written permission for outside use, no signature - then we do not take pictures with those children in them....

we also go one step further and say where and how the pictures will be stored (digital or printed), for how long and when they will be destroyed....

we do have parents not wanting childs pictures to be taken and we ensure all relevant people know this.

I would also be unhappy to allow picutes to be used without parental permission

Inge

Hmm. This file attachment thing seems to be happening regularly. I'm not sure why some files seem to have this problem, but I'll try to find out what's going on.

Brook, my understanding was always that as long as no personal identifiable information on the person (adult or child) was linked with the photographs, there is no legal problem with making them available. As a matter of courtesy, though, you would always expect to be asked for permission and your wishes respected.

Don't know if that's correct in law, though... :o

Hi, can I add that you make sure the name of the school/nursery isnt in evidence either? So undesirables dont know where they are.

We used to have a contract which the parents signed when they joined us, it included that we might take photo's for use within the setting and if they didnt want this to happen it was the parents responsibility to inform us. Any photos used to promote the playgroup were first asked permission for. :D

This is the wording on one of my permission slips for parents

'If you have any objections to the following please indicate below.

Photographs of your child taken in Pre-school to be displayed in our photograph album, occasionally displayed on the wall, published in local newspapers, used by external agencies i.e. Children’s Services, for staff training purposes, downloaded onto CD ROM and sold to parents as part of fund raising or used in promotional material. Our annual group photographs taken by a professional photographer then also sold to parents. Videoing of events such as Harvest festival, Christmas concerts, Easter concerts etc. by Pre-school staff and parents.'

thankyou very much for the documents ruthanne and Steve, but Im afriad Im none the wiser. Unless I am missing something very obvious there doesnt seem to be an awful lot of guidance, just a lot of LEAs saying that they have guidance... and where it can be found..?

Although I am interested in the legal aspects of this, so that I could argue mycase if necessary with my Head in the future, I am really very concernend about the ethical aspects.

It does seem that most of you ask for express permission for outside school purposes and this is very much the option I would prefer persoanlly given the sensitive nature of the event in question.

Hmm more to ponder on I feel..

• 5 weeks later...

hi,

There is specific guidance available to all schools and other agencies regarding allowing photographs etc in schools etc, and especially the use of video for the obligatory christmas nativities and shows!!!! Try going to

www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk

for details and all relevant data protection rights

love kizzy :o

I get signed permission on entry for the variety of ways photographs may be used. I have a few children who are "looked after" and some of their carers do not want their whereabouts known as a child protection issue. However, on saying that, a carer of a child who started school in September had previously wanted her child "excluded" from any photo's that may go in the public domain ( ok for her personal development file).

Last week I opened our local paper to see all the "New Class" photos which are done each year for new school intake and Lo and behold, there was a picture of this child, in class, with name of school clearly shown.

We spent considerable time organising her "anonymity" for two years whilst she was with us.

I don't know if permission had changed, or the school didn't check on who should be in the photo or not, but I was amazed to see the childs picture.

Peggy