Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degree Students?

I have just embarked on a foundation degree in early childhood policy and practice and would love to chat to other foundation stage students? Anyone interested?

Hi Colleen,

Welcome aboard, thanks for your first post, we'll look forward to getting to know you :) . I think you'll find there are several members doing this or a similar Degree course, so you will probably gets lots of company!! The rest of us will be happy to help with any queries you may have, so don't be shy :D

Sue :D

I have already completed E123 AND E124 with ou, but changed jobs and felt quire isolated and alone doing it by myself! Lost motivation towards the end of E124 and thought a uni based route may be more motivating, just wasn't expecting the amount of work-and am only 2 weeks in!

Its all good though-just need to sort time management!

Im doing the foundation degree with the OU finished E123 E124 and nearly the U212, getting there now! Has anyone finished then moved on to new and exciting things with their foundation degree? I know it is quite new still, but half way through need abit of a push to keeping on with it if you know what I mean. Be interested to hear what others have done,

Hi

I am also studying with the OU and completed E123, E124 and almost finished E115 so I shall be considering the next course as I have now done 120 points and 240 are required for the foundation degree.

Good luck to everyone starting the degree

Edited by cathy m

I have just embarked on a foundation degree in early childhood policy and practice and would love to chat to other foundation stage students? Anyone interested?

38690[/snapback]

Welcome aboard!

Can you hear that chomping noise Colleen? That'll be me biting your hand off! Would be delighted to discuss all things Foundation Degree related. Hali and I (no doubt she'll be along soon to take you up on your offer too) started our Foundation Degree last Thursday. All a bit daunting (especially since we've been given all the assignment submission dates for the whole year), and we've got our first piece of homework!

It will be interesting to see how our two courses differ.

Looking forward to mutual support: in good times and bad.

Maz

Well, good luck to you all - it's hard work studying, lots of late nights etc but definitely rewarding. Here I am with four days to go to submit two assignments and decided as I had writers block to get on to the forum to give me a break and catch up with what is going on. I convince myself its a valid diversion and it really is but I must get my head down now and get on with them

Nikki

Hi Coleen, Hali and Maz.

I completed my FD in July, I have just ordered my gown for my graduation and my Parents, Nan and Husband are all coming to see me recieve the scroll. It isn't as far off as it seems now and is worth it in the end.

I know I have developed personally and profesionally for the better as you will do too.

One thing I loved about going to college was having a day for me, albeit a long, hard day, when I wasn't a Mum, or teacher etc and I had a whole hour for lunch!

I am now back at college doing a year topup course BA hons in Early Learning.

Sharon

Guest alisonjayne

Well done Sharon and good luck to everyone else with their studies, I have only done E123 taking a break as got a new job last Sept so wanted to get to grips with that first, but will continue in February.

Ali

Well done Sharon.

I am hoping to start the foundation degree with the OU. but I am a little daunted by the fact that it takes 4 years. Has anyone done two of the courses at the same time, or is this being too unrealistic, as I am in full-time employment already?

Any advice would be welcome :)

Karen

Hi Karen

I am doing E123 and E124 starting in feb 06 ... also doing a computer course NCFE level 2 and working full time as Leader of a nursery and I am supporting 4 other students in my group....I am beginning to panic ... :o

Carol

Good luck all you embarking on your degrees.

I am curious as to the support you all get as a member of staff has just started her degree.

I am being paid to act as her mentor during the course, a small amount each month, so i will probably be looking for support at some time!!!

In addition she has been supplied with a lap top plus software to use while studying with the option to buy at the end at a greatly reduced rate if she wishes. Is this the norm or just for the University/and college she is using?

Inge

Each college seems to have differing funding depending I think if the degree is Surestart endorsed or not. In Ipswich as a fulltime sudent (2 years - 1 day in college minimum 25 hours at work) we recieved £500 mentor costs per year and a laptop and printer. The part time students (4 years- 1/2 day at college and 10 hours minimum at work) recieved a £500 bursery, laptop, mentor support and child care costs!!!! You can imagine the upset that caused!

Sharon

i think only the laptop is the norm, funding, bursuries etc come down to where you live.... :)

Some girls on our course who live 6 miles down the road but in a different county are getting £500 bursery and £500 grant that they dont have to pay back..its looking like Mazlitgtle and i are going to have to pay for all of ours £1350...... :(:oxD

I am completing the Degree with the OU , on my third year and have done two courses for the last two years. Have found it hard going this year but had lots of other problems as well. Need to be really organised and keep up to date with assingments as sometimes they class if you are doing two courses at the same time.

Sue

I heard today that I will be gretting 50% of my foundation degree I am doing with OU, paid for through surestart ... :)

That means I have still got to pay £1100 myself as my setting can't afford it :o

Carol

Edited by Carol

Hello Hali

I am in Bucks and I approached my LEA early years department to find out if there was any sponsorship money towards the next course I have applied for E115 through the OU. This is one of the courses for the Foundation Degree in Early years. They funded 85% fo the course, meaning I only had to pay just over £100 when it should have been over £500. Maybe give your LEA a call on Monday. You never know!

Angie

hi Angie :D

there are 10 of us on the course, 7 of us have applied toour LEA for a bursary that will be shared between us, as yet we dont know how much!!!! :o

39773[/snapback]

And boy will there be ructions if any of us find out any of the seven are getting more than we are, eh Hali?!!

Maz

Great Sharon ... congratulations and very well done!

As for the rest of us EYFD-ers, we'll all get there someday (with support from each other).

In the meantime, Sharon needs to upload her degree certificate or picture of her graduation just to give use impetus and keep us lesser mortals going! LOL

Diane (feeling very envious of Sharon), but nicely so)

Post script to my last message:

I am doing the EYFD with OU (I have passed E123 and E124, and havejust completed E115 .... grey area - ask me in December!

I'm thinking about doing 2 level 2 30-pointers staring Feb 2006, so I can complete the EYFD in 2007. Lots of thinking!!

Diane

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)