Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children's input to learning journeys

What kinds of thing do people do to get children's input and contributions to their learning journeys? I know I have a good range of evidence, we are beginning to get some parental input and although there's not much it's not for lack of trying on my part. Where I'm really lacking is with any evidence of children's input but I'm struggling to know where to start.

Very simply Helen is the way we do it. We find a quiet moment to go through the LJ's with a child and record what they say about the photos and what is happening or what they remember of what they were doing. We have tried asking at the very moment of the observation but that's not always possible and can often give the similar responses each time. We just record near the photograph what a child says.

Ours were done with the child, so during session time and the child helped by putting in the pictures, and discussing them with the key person, often at this stage they wanted to write or add something into the book, so there tended to be lots of little drawings and scribblings which over time could be seen developing , (they were so used to this that one inspection the Ofsted inspector left with lots of little drawings all over her notes and commented she would never forget us!)

• Like 2

Thank you for that. Tried it today and it worked really well. In fact it sparked a whole new interest in their 'special books' with children queuing up to have 'Miss D and me' time! I pre-printed a sheet of purple speech bubbles and wrote their moments on those to stick in so they wouldn't get mixed up with my annotations.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say thank you again. We had moderation this afternoon and the moderator was impressed with our children's input and said we were the only school she'd seen so far which had any kind of children's input - am feeling very chuffed!

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)