Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children learning about money

Hi all, I am just planning my maths activities for next week and I just thought every where I look (in planning books) there is plans for teaching children about money but children don't need to learn about money in reception do they? I suppose it can be used as a means of teaching the other areas like more or less but I think money is really confusing for some children isn't it? If you teach reception what do your children know about money and what are you planning on teaching them. I am an NQT, any help appreciated, thanks

Money comes under measures because it is a unit measure. It wasn't specified so exactly in the 2008 framework but pretty much every reception teacher I know taught it as it used to be in the primary strategy for reception anyway.

Hi I teach money in reception and give them opportunities to play with real money during continuous provision. I don't go much further than familiarising them with the different coins and counting up amounts in 1p. We usually have some sort of shop or cafe where they can buy things and practice counting in 1ps.

Deb

• 4 months later...

I know this is quite an old post, but thought I'd just add that I always use numicon when teaching money. It really helps get across that coins have a value. In the summer term pretty much all my children were able to use the numicon tiles to total at least 5 coins (1p's, 2p's, 5p's and 10p's). They loved going and getting the numicon out in the child initiated time and setting each other challenges.

It doesn't necessarily help with the language of money but just a thought ...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)