Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking progress in Pre-Schools

Morning everyone,

Would anyone be kind enough to share their tracking formats with me? I am in a pre-school setting and am after some inspiration to revamp our current tracking which I know is not good enough. We rely too much on the keypersons knowledge, which although is vital, I worry that if ever a keyperson wasn't around for any reason, it would make it more difficult for another keyperson to pick up quickly. I also know that although Mrs O praised our keypersons for knowing exactly where individual children are at in their learning, that written evidence of this is not up to scratch!

TIA

I would love to use PRAMS Bubblejack. However, I have a long way to go to get all of my keypersons on board with this as two of them are afraid to go near a computer. We only have one laptop for use by the staff as well so I don't know how we would get round allocating time for inputting etc. It is my aim to get us over to PRAMS eventually. I was thinking maybe I could tackle this over the Summer and have a play around with it.

Have you thought of using PRAMS? excellent for this.

I have a tracking sheet for each child, key people track 3 times per year and i colate it onto PRAMS

It really is a great tracking system and very easy to do.

My staff could track on PRAMS but i like to do this as a way of a. knowing where the children are and b. making sure staff are covering everything.

If you want your staff to do the tracking, i would give some in house training and set it as part of their appraisal targets.

• 3 weeks later...

How do you allocate time for PRAMS? I'm a pack away pre-school and have to be out of my hall on time as it used by others. I'd love to switch to online assessments etc but can't seem to figure out when staff would be able to do it as we only have a few hours with the children as it is!?

So, do you want each key person to be able to input information or keep written information which then gets written up onto some kind of master sheet?

Sorry Panders, I somehow missed your reply. I would ideally like everyone to be able to input but I don't think this is possible as we only have the one laptop and we have keyworker time for an hour altogether on Tuesdays. Would like to see everyone's written formats/master sheets to see how everyone else manages it.

Our sheets are the grid of the development statements with children's names across the top. The boxes are dated when we have a strong enough observation or evidence that children have achieved it. This then forms a grid of progression which our LA were impressed with on their recent visit. We have one spiral bound booklet per keygroup. It took a while for the Manager to set up, but definitely worth it.

Sorry Panders, I somehow missed your reply. I would ideally like everyone to be able to input but I don't think this is possible as we only have the one laptop and we have keyworker time for an hour altogether on Tuesdays. Would like to see everyone's written formats/master sheets to see how everyone else manages it.

In the children's learning journeys we have individual trackers, on the left hand side we have all the DMs on the right hand side columns with up to eight terms. Each key person after making an observation numbers it in the learning journey and numbers it on the DM it refers to. After 12 weeks key persons assess all their observations and then on the right hand side where the terms are, write in emerging developing or secure within the age bands for the DMs They then give me this information and I plot it onto master sheets which give each child's name age in months and then where they are for that term SIMPLES!!!!!!!!

Would send you a copy if you pm me

Our sheets are the grid of the development statements with children's names across the top. The boxes are dated when we have a strong enough observation or evidence that children have achieved it. This then forms a grid of progression which our LA were impressed with on their recent visit. We have one spiral bound booklet per keygroup. It took a while for the Manager to set up, but definitely worth it.

Would you share you sheet?

• Like 1

Lawchaz

I often work at home, so some time is not within the setting but if i wanted my staff to add bits on, i do what they are on the rota for so that allows them to sit for 15 mins to add on stuff. I am not supernumeracy but there is always a few moments to do stuff, we free flow from 9.30 til 11.30 so there is always a bit of time, we are also packaway and have to be out

Edited by Suer

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)