Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

S.t.c

Guest dawn.a.

HELLO, xD

i have plucked up the courage to introduce myself and say hello , but please bear with me if I get it wrong. :o

any way I just wanted to share with everyone we have started somerset total communication sign language within our pre-school and the children are picking it up very quickly, considering the staff were not to keen to start with and worried about showing the children it has gone brilliantly. If anyone else has the chance to learn it I would encourage them todo so.

Hi Dawn, Welcome from me too, you sound like a good advocate for a "try something new before dismissing it approach". :D

Look forward to hearing more about it.

peggy

nice one Dawn. We haev a hearing resource base at our school and therefore haev at least 2 0r 3 profoundly deaf chidlren in all classes who leanr to sign. Its amazing how quickly the other chidlren learn basic signs and given that we have a 100% EAL population as well, it helsp with their communication too.

hi dawn

we have all done the STC course at the nursery where i work. and do not use it enough. if you have access to a tv there is a very good programme on about 10.45 called Something Special. on BBC2. the kids love it. just one guy(aka mr tumble) looking at things( this week it was animals) short and simple but they all join in with the signs and can remember them days later. i know tv is not pc in this day and age but they get so much out of this one small programme.

Maz, the main difference between TC and BSL is tht TC uses signs and speech at the same time, and uses English word order and grammar. It also adds signs for words that dont exist in BSL eg the, a, is, tenses (which in BSL are inferred), 'ing' etc.

BSL has its own grammatical structure and unique signs that have no direct translation into English. Word order is diferent so it cant be used with spoken English (simple example english would say red car, BSL would sign car red).

Hoep that makes sense?

Guest dawn.a.
hi dawn

we have all done the STC course at the nursery where i work.  and do not use it enough. if you have access to a tv there is a very good programme on about 10.45 called Something Special. on BBC2. the kids love it. just one guy(aka mr tumble) looking at things( this week it was animals) short and simple but they all join in with the signs and can remember them days later. i know tv is not pc in this day and age but they get so much out of this one small programme.

39250[/snapback]

Guest dawn.a.

Hi everyone,

It's going well the children are beginning to pick it up quicker than we thought they would. It took a while to convince some of the staff but now they are all on board and as long as we remind each other t remeber to use it when we are talking. It has slowed our speed of talk down as well because you are signing as you talk this has already helped one or two children within the group who are at the short sentence and instruction stage.

Guest dawn.a.
nice one Dawn. We haev a hearing resource base at our school and therefore haev at least 2 0r 3 profoundly deaf chidlren in all classes who leanr to sign. Its amazing how quickly the other chidlren learn basic signs and given that we have a 100% EAL population as well, it helsp with their communication too.

38563[/snapback]

Hello Mundia,

I am really getting into this now and am considering going into working with speech and language, have not experienced any deaf children so far only those with speech problems but its a whole new venture to me that I wish to branch into.

I don't know whether anyone has used the www.ndcs.org.uk site. I logged onto it and found it interesting. I sent for a book - Deaf Friendly Nurseries and Pre-schools it's a guide for people working with deaf children in early education. There are other publications and they are free.

Sue J

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)