Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sand problem

blackcat

Can I ask if EYFSclassrooms have sand/water in your classroom permanently? This year due to a particular child we have sand everywhere, even on computer keyboards. Having tried everything to prevent problems we are thinking of moving sand out of classroom but still have sand outdoors.

I don't. I have a water tray in the small outside area which the children always have access to. The larger area which has more limited access (can only use it when I have a second adult) has an enormous sandpit. This year due to the big outdoor space having turned into a bog for most of it and therefore been completely unusable the water tray in the little bit sometimes becomes a sand tray - there isn't space for both.

I'm so pleased to hear that not everyone does! A past Ofsted inspection pulled us up because we not have both available all the time. We still don't! I bring it out as enhancements to what's going on or to help learning move forward with different media. We go through phases though, we had sand in the room all of last term until it just sat there go a fortnight being ignored as the children moved to different activities like the big blocks etc. so put it away for a while! Water is really only used as a focus activity indoors, but is available outside all th time

We are lucky enough to have a big classroom and I have both sand and water available permanently inside and out. We have to enforce expectations and support children at the beginning of the year but once the children are settled we don't generally have issues with mess. We enhance the areas regularly and they are both used well. The sand area in particular becomes more of a small world area occasionally. To be honest it's been so cold outside that we have had other things in the water tray and the children can't keep warm if they are fairly stationary at the outdoor sandpit. Once it warms up they will be popular areas outside. So, I feel quite lucky and can sympathise with colleagues who can't provide both sand and water indoors and out. A colleague did point out recently, though, that a Danish teacher friend thought it was highly peculiar to have sand and water indoors!

I always had it available either indoors or outdoors depending on space, I don't see the need for replication but the key for me is availability - e.g. I do comment in settings if the sand is outside and a reception class never has free flow; they can't access it so it becomes an unused, redundant resource. I believe it should be part of the permanent resourcing and used to enhance learning opportunities through all areas of learning where possible.

cx

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask if EYFSclassrooms have sand/water in your classroom permanently? This year due to a particular child we have sand everywhere, even on computer keyboards. Having tried everything to prevent problems we are thinking of moving sand out of classroom but still have sand outdoors.

I do not have sand /water in my classroom permanently for this very reason? Children can always access it in the outside area though!

• 3 weeks later...

We have it inside and outside. Mainly due to the fact that some children will spend 99% of their time outside.

I suppose it depends on what space you have. We are lucky in that our FSU consists of 5 classrooms and a large outdoor area. Sounds good, and it is, not too easy to keep on top of however.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)