Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Consultation on proposed changes to the role of the LA in early ed &#3

News of another consultation that launches today;

Consultation on proposed changes to the role of the local authority in early education and childcare

Today the Government launches a six week consultation exercise setting out proposals for a changed role for local authorities in the delivery of funded early education for two, three and four-year-olds. We are asking for views on proposals to free local authorities from unnecessary administrative burdens so they can focus on their role as ‘champions’ of children and their families, particularly the most disadvantaged.<

This consultation will open on Monday 25 March and close on Monday 6 May 2013.

As with the school system, the Government wants to see maximum funding passed directly to the frontline and increased autonomy for early years providers in terms of the training and quality improvement support they access, supported by rigorous inspection arrangements.

At a time when resources are under pressure, it does not make sense for local authorities to be conducting their own quality assessments of providers. That is Ofsted’s job. The Government therefore wants Ofsted to be the sole arbiter of quality in the early years to reduce bureaucracy and confusion for providers, local authorities and parents. As announced in ‘More great childcare’, Ofsted will have a greater focus on identifying underperformance in the early years; ensuring that weaker performers are inspected more frequently and that there is greater involvement of Her Majesty’s Inspectors in inspections.

The Government’s proposals are set out in the document ‘Consultation on proposed changes to the role of the local authority in early education and childcare’ https://www.educatio...ernal=no&menu=1

All those who are interested in contributing to the consultation can do so using the Department’s e-consultation website. You can respond electronically on the site using the response form, or print off a copy and send it to the responsible team. All of the details can be found on the website, which can be accessed using the following link http://www.education...k/consultations.

If you have any questions related to the policy content of the consultation, you can contact the Department’s national enquiry line on 0370 000 2288 or email: fundedearlyeducation.Consultation@education.gsi.gov.uk

I suspect that as with all these changes, the devil is in the detail. I may be completely off on an agenda of my own, but having read the document it seems to refer an awful lot to large group nursery providers and the newly proposed CM groups. I suspect that these are the very models that the government wants, rather than the large % of the childcare market that is currently made up of small providers.

I am deeply concerned that Ofsted and only Ofsted will "be in charge". Who will fight the corner for the smaller providers if there is no local authority input. It seems to me that we now have a typically market led approach going on here, much like academisation and the free school movement. Lets lay the overall responsibility for the provision of places on the LEA but give them no say whatsoever in the local running of places.....

How are small providers going to gain access to quality training if none is to be provided by the LEA? How are we ever to understand the nuances of what Ofsted want if the LEA isn't going to be able to interpret this for us? How are we to ever unravel all the legislative demands as small providers? And most importantly, how will we ever have a voice that can be heard?

I have no problem whatsoever on the removal of local conditions from the LEA re FNEP...that said.our local authority really have none to speak of. I have no problem in the concept that Ofsted and only Ofsted should give a rating for child care provision (and actually I welcome the fact that we would be able to request an inspection should we feel that a current grade is unrepresentative). However, I also know that Ofsted are absolutely clueless about running business/charities and I am really concerned that they want us little fish out of the market.

I can forsee the situation where I just turn off the lights and walk away...........

• Like 1

One of the LA workforce managers I work with made the very point eyfs1966 made about training.....she said that she thinks settings will be very unsure who to approach for the training and then many will not be able to afford it :(

It is a very worrying scenario that when the government want to up skill the workforce they are then going to take away one of it's main training providers :blink: :huh: :(

Oh my goodness now Its all falling into place!!!!!!!! - there has been a big push in our area to get settings to work together forming networks and providing training for each other. This has been the plan all along.... :huh:

Oh my goodness now Its all falling into place!!!!!!!! - there has been a big push in our area to get settings to work together forming networks and providing training for each other. This has been the plan all along.... :huh:

Snap! same in our area too, but there is a charge even to be in the network and the childminders and pre-schools aren't making enough money to join. Most 'education' training from our LEA now has a cost, and you are looking at anywhere between £25 and £250 per day! There's not a hope for us to be able to afford that as we aren't yet breaking even this academic year and to be getting cover staff in on top - not a chance :angry:

...its going to be a dog eat dog world in early years. the giants swallowing up the small preschools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! despairing.. .....me?nah! :ph34r:

The quality of the training in our area is so poor I sort of welcome a change.

.......change can be as good as a rest from the 'poor' training but only if you can afford it..... market forces at work in early years! :blink:

This is another one of those 'consultations' that appear just before a holiday and has a short life span (may 6th) so Im sure many people wont see it or even be aware of it.

Do take time to read and respond, there are some quite worrying things in there, even for those people who perhaps dont think much of their LA.

I have plenty to say on the subject, just thinking about how to word it.

I just hope everyone in early years provision contributes to the consultation - if no one raises their concerns about how settings will (a) source and (b) fund high quality training with out support from their Local Authority the proposals will just happen!

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with a lot of what has been said. I feel our last has been very influential in training, as supporting the eyp's and have a deeper knowledge and understanding of the early years than Ofsted. These all important points, however I feel the last has a very supportive role, in workforce development, as well as a sound knowledge of all things, if ever I have a small question, my early years team has been their to direct and support me and my setting. Without this support, will we need to pay a private company to use up all my wavering profit? Will such private companies have the same indepth knowledge?

Just a reminder then folks, 2 consultations close in the next week or so.

The proposed early Years Teacher standards..have your views on those. There are some significant gaps there such as no mention, of play or child initiated learning. Nothing about inclusion, equality of opportunities and diversity, but plenty about 'groups' 'stretching' and 'goals' . Whatever your view, please have it, this consultation on Tuesday, 30th April.

Next we have the changes to the LA remit. This closes the following week on the 6th May. Do look out for the 'meaning' behind the questions. Think 'Big picture' when you respond to the questions about 'what is the impact of.. '

You might like to look at this report from Kathy Sylva et al

http://www.ecersuk.org/resources/More+Great+Childcare+Research+Evidence+March+2013.pdf

There is a section about the role of the LA in that.

But whatever your view, then give your voice. Its important!

Mundia, and breathe.....

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)