Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

2 year progress checks

Have done a couple of the children 2 year checks today and have had to mark them down on the health and self care because their are still in nappies and no signs of them coming out of them. Parents are not concerned nor our they worrid about starting to potty train them yet. Should we push for toilet training and make it a next step anywhere or just leave it.

One of the Children is nearly 3 and the other is 28 months.

I totaly agree with you i just wondered as these 2 are a lot higher in the other areas of learning but then we can justify why they are lower in this area.

Edited by sadie19

We have this as well Sadie.

I mark them at the stage that they are and explain to parents why they are scoring low, but that there is no pressure (we have a 4 year old still in nappies) then I just put in the next steps that we will support the child and family whenever the time is right.

we have a child who is 4years, off to school in sept, still in nappies, still has dummy in the setting, insists on being called by his baby nickname and not real name. It is an ongoing working with the parents (one step forward five steps back) issue. They say he will do it when ready and are in no rush, they have a very close family unit and he doesn't like independence and doing things for himself so they don't make him. So I would say at 2 years old that isn't so much an issue unless they showing they are ready for it.

what is it with parents toilet training SOOOO late! i have never had a group where i still have so many at this stage in the year!...is this just me?....sorry thread hijack!

back to OP.....The whole point about the 2 year old check (IMO) is that it gives you a chance to have these discussions and target help . Have you given the parents advice about toiet training or asked them to contact the HV?....i feel this is an opportunity to work with parents and so i use it as a chance to flag up concerns and record what both parties are doing about it. If the parents decide not to toilet train you then have the evidence to say what you did and when you did it. If the children arn't even giving you any signs that they are wet or soiled then maybe they aren't there yet. Most of my 2 year checks have been age appropriate in 2 of the 3 areas....there always seems to be a week spot (some however have been low in all 3! <_<

what is it with parents toilet training SOOOO late! i have never had a group where i still have so many at this stage in the year!...is this just me?....sorry thread hijack!

Most of my 2 year checks have been age appropriate in 2 of the 3 areas....there always seems to be a week spot (some however have been low in all 3! <_<

Yes we are finding this too other than the toilet training, with us it's speech or serious lack of! Never had so many that have dummies and are still having bottles .. It's no wonder they don't talk properly!

• Like 1

Yes we are finding this too other than the toilet training, with us it's speech or serious lack of! Never had so many that have dummies and are still having bottles .. It's no wonder they don't talk properly!

I have SO many on salt at the moment that i could employ a full time s&lt and they would be over worked! ...two of my parents have decided to pay for private therapists so that they don't have to wait 6 months to see someone.

I have one child who rarely turns up and has little speech...her Mum came in the other day to tell me what to do (from the SALT) i said that i was good but that i wasn't a miracle worker and she would need to attend more than the 9 sessions out of the 35 she is supposed to have done! :angry: ...i did sort of say it in a polite manner :blink:

• Like 2

I have one child who rarely turns up and has little speech...her Mum came in the other day to tell me what to do (from the SALT) i said that i was good but that i wasn't a miracle worker and she would need to attend more than the 9 sessions out of the 35 she is supposed to have done! :angry: ...i did sort of say it in a polite manner :blink:

Are you from our setting? We have the same problem- I have just told the parents [a couple of weeks ago] that they would have to drop the amount of sessions claimed for - or to be prepared to be billed should county do an audit on us and ask for their funding back!

Since then they have attended almost all sessions, and his speech is coming on a bit more.

It's just not fair on people that genuinely want the sessions that we can't give them.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)