Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Techno dude advice required

Panders

I have a member of staff who does not have a printer but she emails things to me to check for college work etc. however I can"t read the attachments because they come out in gobbledygook. When I open the attachment it says select encoding that makes your document readable and offers windows default MS DOS and 'other' nothing seems to change it however.

Any thoughts anyone?

That sort of thing is usually when you're trying to open it with an incompatible program. Do you have MS Word on your PC? If not and she's sending you a word document it might be that your PC is trying to open it with a rich text editor, or MS Works or something. Do the files have file extensions? (.doc, .docx .rtf etc)?

If you want to send me one that doesn't have sensitive content in it I'll be happy to take a look at it. :1b

That sort of thing is usually when you're trying to open it with an incompatible program. Do you have MS Word on your PC? If not and she's sending you a word document it might be that your PC is trying to open it with a rich text editor, or MS Works or something. Do the files have file extensions? (.doc, .docx .rtf etc)?

If you want to send me one that doesn't have sensitive content in it I'll be happy to take a look at it. :1b

Thanks Steve, yes they have docs after them. Could I try saving it in a memory stick andthenopening on the laptop, that doesn't appear to have a problem with docx

Absolutely, that's a good first thing to try Panders. If you still have problems with them let me know. As a longer term solution, if your version of MS Word on the main computer is 2003 or earlier, then you can download a modification from Microsoft that enables you to read .docx files.