Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

World book day - article made me smile

An amusing but valid point or two there!

In my old setting (private Day Nursery) the children all came as Sleeping Beauty/Cinderella or Spiderman/Power ranger. Except for one girl who had a mother with all the time in world, presumably, who always came as the Gruffalo, but it was a new costume every year as mum donated each one to the dressing up resources!! And they really were home made!!

Well we are not dressing up as book characters, but children have the opportunity to come in their bedtime clothes. We have invited parents, grandparents to come and share books, stories, illustrations and text, song and rhymes throughout the whole of next week. We are going to create lots of lovely cosy areas in which to explore a love of books in a wonderfully relaxed way. This will include tents, dens, big bean bags, cushions, blankets, sleeping bags, i will let you know how it goes.:)

• Like 1

I love your idea Fredbear! I am not ranting I just get bored easily - Year in year out all you get is dressing up as characters! Please inspire me.... (grumpy today? ...sorry maybe just a bit....) :P :P

We have had a week of being in our PJs so all the children get a chance to take part. Staff have loved it! Each room focussed on a story, so the babies had 'that's not my puppy' and did lots of sensory activities, the toddlers did 'the hungry caterpillar' and the pre-schoolers 'room on the broom' - lots of lovely story sacks and story telling :) We have loved it.

• Like 1

I posted last years theme which was bedtime stories and maybe some of you saw and used it this year - we set up infalatable mattresses, duvets , bedside cabinets etc and parents came and shared stories - and children came in pj's and so did one parent and he was only dropping them off - this year we did nursery rhymes - I sent parents email with ideas - any aspect and something which not restrict play - soldiers - grand old duke of york - hey diddle diddle - cat, dogs , cows but yet some still struggled even though i suggested children helped to come up with an idea - parents definitely over think it possibly because the school always does there week way before and make it awkward . so today we had cats,dogs, mice, nurse for miss polly , bo peep an owl , ( the little boy said i could be his pussycat as i had dressed up and we read and acted out an owl and the pussycat ) and one child did not dress up but bought in a book and cake he had baked with mum - pat a cake pat a cake and we ate at snack .

all week activities and continuous provision based around nursery rhymes- humpty dumpty - big sheet of card and created a wall ,ducks and water - jack and jill - hills and buckets of water , mats for rolling - mary mary - garden and shells and so on

children asked to bring in their favourite book and we read them during session - so all in all worked well :D sorry ranted a bit there

We do a book week before half term so had our day dressing up as book characters in feb. I agree with a lot of what is said in the article and as a mum of 3 school age children have n the past had to sort out 3 costumes-luckily my children's school didn't do it this year-phew! In my class what invariably happens is that children wear whatever outfit they have already ie princess, pirate etc and then find a book to go with usually a book they have little interest or have never read in some cases! Interesting that our local sainsburys had a range of book day costumes for sale this year!

For future ideas though my daughter last year went as the little princess wearing a big white t shirt, red wellies and wearing a cardboard crown and clutching a teddy (Gilbert) minimal effort and she looked fab!

Deb

i have to confess to completely forgetting it was WBD :o:ph34r: :blink:

For some reason we have not been sent any vouchers/posters etc and yet have been registered for years!!

The parents have not reminded me either because the local schools always do it on friday!

One of my staff members came in today saying that she made 2 costumes...her daughter went as Dorothy (no problem ....except she wanted to take their new puppy with her as toto!!) but her son had decided to go as astrix.....so gold wings etc were made as he flew off to school!!! xD

Have to say i have always made costumes for my 2 but they have always been really simple....i refuse to buy them for a one day fix!

We visited the library for storytime (took five groups over the course of the day!!). We are also relaunching our nursery lending library and sending a parcel of our favourite books to a nursery in Africa which we have links with.

Has anyone got this year's WBD freebie book 'Alfie's Shop' by Shirley Hughes? It's only £1 or free with your voucher and is a really lovely story about Alfie and Annie Rose making a shop in their back garden.

• Like 1