Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Peppa Pig Rip off alert

Panders

While out shopping this week, went into newsagent there was a new promotion Bake with Peppa, magazine, plate, silicone cups etc. all for 99p. Thought, yeh, why not. Believe, me I know these things are a rip off, and rarely indulge but this was Peppa afterall!

On looking through paperwork thought the offer was a SPECIAL SUBSCRIPTION OFFER BUY ISSUE 2 AND RECEIVE ISSUE 3 FREE, PLUS AMAZING FREE GIFTS. Thought, hmm, all for £2.99, sounds like a bargain, these things normally you have to buy loads.

Upon looking further, it would seem you sign up to this subscription offer, plus in small print agree to "thereafter I will receive 2 issues packed together every 4 weeks at a price of £4.99 per issue plus 25p postage and packing. No mention of how many issues there will be over the course it runs.

Digging on their website, eventually find FAQ's under Contact us, 50 more issues at least, so that would be a cost of £262. for a bunch of plates, spoons and bakeware that no child actually would want. All the exciting stuff is in the first 4 issues!

I so hate this type of rip off, which my most vulnerable families could fall prey to.

I got stuck in one years ago when my lads were in primary school. I bought a 'build a human body' thing, each week a few more pieces of the skeleton, muscles. I didnt think to read the fine print, just bought the first copy and 2nd, 3rd until in the end I had to stop. The pieces were so inconsequential to little boys it felt like you never got anywhere. :angry:

We did the same with a build a robot with my son. The actual cost of it at the end was astronomical, but once we'd started, we had to carry on or what we had would be a total waste of money! Anyway he was getting such a lot out of it, and he bought more parts on ebay and made his own versions -i think he had five of the things in the end! and then went on to do his masters degree in robotic and cybertronic engineering, all because he got interested in robotics through the magazine!

• Like 4

We did it with Thomas the Tank Engine!! My son has now got a magnificent set of engines in a cardboard engine shed.

I don't care to think what it cost me :blink: ......... suffice to say it wasn't clear at the start!!! :huh:

generally, if you look at the small print on the adverts, they tell you how many future issues there are and how much each costs. Then, do the maths..................they are all hugely expensive. the best one we bought was the dinosaur one, first issue was a big skull and a poster of T.Rex......all for 99p. We bought two, the skulls went into the sand tray and the garden, waiting to be 'found' by the children. Poster displayed and all items are still in regular use. We didn't buy any more issues and I suspect it will come around again soon, so we'll stock up again! ;)

Absolutely - do you remember the bugs a few years back? We got about 20 of those and they are still in regular use with magnifying glasses etc and are incredibly useful for those children who are terrified of creepy crawlies!

Yes they have their uses without a doubt and the peppy pig one I bought today will be happily used no doubt that's not the issue though is it, some parents don't or are not aware of the huge mounting costs of these things and to be fair this pig stuff is nowhere in the league against dinosaurs and bugs

• Like 3