Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Doctors and ambulances

Hi all,

Our children have shown great interest in doctors and ambulances recently and we want to follow this interest.

They would like a doctors role play- any ideas?

Also, any ideas about activities we could do relating to this topic?

My mind has gone blank- i think because it's friday!

we usually set up the home corner as a doctors/ HV office plus an area as a small ward. We have weighing scales and measures for the health visitors and an old laptop, doctors bag, notepad for prescriptions etc. The hospital ward has half a dozen beds for dolls, we use cut down cardboard boxes painted white with matching bed linen and a clothes horse with a material cover to provide the screens when a baby is being treated, each bed has a A5 clip board with 'notes' on the end of the bed as well as other medical equipment like bandages, loads of plasters, thermometer strips, empty plastic bottles for medicine plus spoons.

We are making an ambulance right now, getting the children to think about what they might use how to fix it together etc.

They have been really into it.

We have had a dolls ward. Lots of beds, clipboards for medical history taking and temp charts. As well as outfits, doctors stuff etc.

Trays for stretchers!

Office area for booking in.

Lovely fun!

Edited by Scarlettangel
  • Like 1

Max has been very thorough - how about singing Miss Polly had a Dolly. Could you make a stretcher for your ambulance crew to bring in the dollies who are very poorly? I also let them have our old rolls of bandages which are no longer "sterile" and come out of the first aid box. Get well cards to make up for their mark making/cutting sticking skills. If we run out of plasters we use kitchen roll and masking tape.

• Like 1

We have what Max has said and the children love it.

To top that, we have reenactment of 'Call the Midwife' ongoing most days. We were slightly confused and concerned 'til we found it on repeat on a a Sunday at 12.30pm ish!!

• Like 1

We have what Max has said and the children love it.

To top that, we have reenactment of 'Call the Midwife' ongoing most days. We were slightly confused and concerned 'til we found it on repeat on a a Sunday at 12.30pm ish!!

Great TV serie! Right? The only thing is that the TV program screenplay is adapted too much. The actors/actresses are great, the costumes, the setting... very good... but sadly enough it changes too much from the original book. I am reading "The Complete Call the Midwife Stories" (Kindle edition), already in the 3rd book. I had pre-ordered the DVD special set that included seasons 1 & 2, plus the Christmas Special, but I have cancelled it after the disappointment I have been feeling when the stories have been changed so much. Nevertheless, I will still see the TV program because of it's good quality. If you like to read, I would recommend you to read them ;) .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)