Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Funding for further study

Hi, I am looking at studying either foundation degree, certificate in higher education or BA in early years through open university. My issue is getting funding as I cannot afford to pay for it myself and my setting may contribute some but I am going to need to get funding. £2500 per 60 credits is a lot to find!

Local council only has very limited funding so I'm wondering is there any other early years funding out there I am not finding?

I received funding from my LA, but that was back 4 or 5 years ago. My Deputy received funding this year for her first year, but has since been told there is no more funding available for future years!!! She has been informed by LA and college the only possible way she can fund the course (and therefore complete what she has already started!) is through student finance! There doesnt appear to be any other solutions out there at the moment. However I would wait to hear what comes from 'More great childcare' and the responses to the 'Nutbrown review', they talk about 'better qualifications' and 'Early years educators/Teachers' - they may, possible (?) throw some money our way, to allow us to complete and gain these qualifications?! I may be completely wrong, but I have suggested to my deputy to look into student finance, but to wait until after the budget at least before doing anything about it.

Maybe somebody else here has some better ideas?

Student loan may be the way to go...check it out here

Your repayments are linked to your income. You only make repayments when your income is over £21,000 a year. If your income drops below this amount repayments stop.

. so while it may be a debt it may be worth doing to enable you to do the training..

Hi!

Have you looked at the OU's own funding options? It may have changed but I got support via them for my BA(hons) and then went on to do my EYPS at a University and that was funded anyway.

I want to do a Master's but can't find any funding. OU don't fund beyond your first degree and my school cannot see any benefit to them in funding me.

Wow! Has that 'gone up' an awful lot?

One of my staff members should have started hers last September/October but couldn't for various reasons..........I have money set aside for this for her but not anything like enough :o:( I thought it was considerably less than £2500 :blink: - oh dear - I'm going to have to re-think my offer now........

this was the year the higher fees kicked in.. can now cost up to £9000 per year for some universities... which is where the loan comes in for the fees... .. that is the idea really.. to get a loan to do the course and pay back when earning enough.. and unless something drastic happens in this sector the changes of that happening can often be low! How many of you are on £21,000 a year???...

Hi!

Have you looked at the OU's own funding options? It may have changed but I got support via them for my BA(hons) and then went on to do my EYPS at a University and that was funded anyway.

I want to do a Master's but can't find any funding. OU don't fund beyond your first degree and my school cannot see any benefit to them in funding me.

Madmum, if you find any funding for masters level please let us know... I have scoured for some and only funding for levels 4, 5, undergraduate and EYPS. The only postgraduate/ masters funding is the New Leaders (EYPS and Masters combined) /NPIQiCL and NPQH! :huh:

has it changed then? My son and his girlfriend live together but were assessed for repayments on their own incomes... she paid nothing for years as her income was too low while he paid his back as he was earning above the then threshold .. was same when they emigrated.. assessed separately so he paid and she didn't .. once she got a job she then started paying loans back.. ( luckily his is paid so now they only have the one left but I do know it only assessed on her income for the amount to repay )

I've just had a student loan for my PGCE and although I've been married for mumble, mumble years, my husband's wage isn't involved with my repayments. It did have some bearing on my living allowance loan but not my fee loan. I will only repay when I am earning over the threshold personally. Might be worth another look.

I would have thought that for someone who has completed a degree and is employed as a 'graduate leader', £21,000 per annum is more than achievable? I also understand that the repayments are only based on the individuals income, not the household, and I double checked this last week.