Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Gruffalo

We are planning to do 'the gruffalo' as our topic after half term as the children have become interested in the story.

My mind has gone blank so have any of you got any great activities we could do for this topic?

We also can't think what to turn our role play area into to link with the topic.

have you tried the gruffalo website? lots of great ideas on there. We did a large gruffalo display...requires a large outline of a Gruffalo and the children think of the resources to create 'warts' 'prickles' etc.... a really textured work of art!

Here is the link to the website; http://www.gruffalo.com/section.php?s=html/gamesandactivities.html

have fun!

• Like 1

Loving gruffalo play dough too Helen. We made up a drama for the children to act out years ago, but sadly I can no longer find it but we made masks and back drops on 3 panels some of the youngest children were creatures from the wood and repeated the refrains like there's no such thing others held up pictures of his knees prickles etc as we told the story, parents loved it, but these days it would be more than I would ask of the children to rehearse, but we still make masks and tell the story we have a gruffalo soft toy which we hide then turn out the lights and they search for it with torches.

I think it was on the site sun hats and wellie boots they made gruffalo cupcakes they looked brilliant nice treat to end your topic, think they also did face painting and went for walk in woods

Edited by Panders
  • Like 1

we made a grufallo cave with lots of wood from outside and a table covered in material for a cave. I went out and collected lots of sticks for stickmen too....but they just didn't want to make them! we had owls and snakes and mice and a large 'animal' fur coat for the gruffalo...then one day the children arrived to find a warning sign saying that the gruffalo had escaped and been seen in the near vicinity(etc etc) in the woods outside they found a gruffalo...made of the coat and a mask!...i like the playdough too...would be good with clay and spagetti prickles too.

• Like 1

Guest sn0wdr0p

Gruffalo footprints with glow in the dark paint (B & Q), laminated then stuck to the floor then follow them to the cave where our soft toy Gruffalo lives. We hide print outs of the animals he meets on the way for them to find.

We have made Gruffalo wood puppet theatres out of cereal packets, made a slit across the bottom then the children have coloured in card cut outs then stuck them to lolly sticks and acted it out.

We have been thinking some more about this topic and because our children love our kitchen and play food and sensory play we have decided we would like to make

a 'gruffalo cafe' role play area. We thought we could have 'real' ingredients for them to make the food out of the story (gruffalo crumble, roasted fox, owl ice cream, scrambled snake)

We are now trying to decide what ingredients to put in their to use! We have thought about using porridge oats for gruffalo crumble but then we are stuck! Any ideas?

Also, a bit off topic but are children allowed to 'play' with soil? We wanted to put it in the sand tray and hide plastic creepy crawlies in their- in order to follow some of the children's interests in bugs!

Also, a bit off topic but are children allowed to 'play' with soil? We wanted to put it in the sand tray and hide plastic creepy crawlies in their- in order to follow some of the children's interests in bugs!

I guess it depends what you mean by soil. I used to use compost regularly in the sand tray. Just make sure to keep it damp as it can be quite dusty when it dries out.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)