Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

extension ideas

Hi all

I have a child in at the moment who is challenging to say the least (but that is a whole different story) but he finds focus and sticking with activities quite difficult. Anyway he has shown a real interest in lining things up and there is a certain amount of sorting in this as well (by colour or type for example) now he doesn't want to count, he doesn't know or doesn't want to say what he is doing or why he is doing it, he just lines everything up!

Not sure how to extend this, he doesn't like people 'interfering' in his play and is likely to just stop or shout at you if you try and join in. so far last term he started lining the bikes up and then adding a hoop at the front of each bike matching colour of hoop and bike together.

Today he lined up the walking turtles, made lines with the 'feet' mats matching the colour (so one line of red and one of blue) and placed an egg and a small world animal on each stepping stone in the physical area, as this wasn't ideal we moved it all to the small world mat with the balance wall where he lined up animals along the balance wall.

The trouble is although he is very low on PSED skills he is four so I feel that this play is not really age appropriate but I am struggling for ideas on how to extend in way that he wont notice I am doing it, so I guess I need more provocation rather than active extension!!

any ideas anyone????

Edited by Johanna1

sounds schematic, do use schemas in your planning? I would guess from your description that it could be postioning in which case you could try any activity which involves placing things between, on top, behind, inside etc. Activities could include sorting and matching games, hiding and finding activities, using shapes in play like those good old fashion hammer and nail games, collage where resources can be stacked or layered. All of these can be done in small groups to encourage co-operation and social interaction. does he like open ended heuristic play? usually lots of opportunities to position with those type of resources. You could try would mirroring his play and then when you have his attention extend it and see if he can follow your lead. It sounds from your post that there are other concerns so have you had any suggestions from other professionals involved? what does he like to do at home? just thinking out loud I guess

Edited by max321

I agree with the above... talk to mum about child's behaviour/interests at home. Also if the parents have any concerns. Has he been anywhere else before you that you could contact? and yes lots of ons. How is the child at transition times?

Well there is a rather large thread about this little one else where on here, we are working with difficult family, I think he has some sort of ADHD, his sister has ASD like behaviour and everybody knows she fits this but it is undiagnosed as parents will not allow this process to happen. They claim a lot of his behaviour is either not his fault (it's the other children's) or 'learnt' behaviour from his sister. I know that the learnt behaviour is a possibility but I don't buy it this little one is a completely different kettle of fish to his sister (I was her key person and SEN so knew her well) I do have area SEN help of a kind but it has taken me ages to get this as family not on board to begin with and now they are after a fashion but we walk on egg shells. They are (rightly I suppose) focusing on his PSED but obviously we do still need to try and follow his interests as we do with the other children. I have tried quite a lot (or so it feels like) and just don't know where to go with him. They have suggested we do two or three adult initiated activities a session with him (although he doesn't always want to do this) this behaviour of lining things up it what he returns to again and again I just thought maybe I could work with that to see if I could extend it rather than just allowing it to continue :(

Thank you Max321 we do use Schema but hadn't really thought of it as 'positioning' :ph34r: had been viewing from a trajectory angle I will go and give that some thought.

Edited by Johanna1

can you use the cars as a reward for doing and adult led activity (so first this then that ) perhaps remove the cars until he works to your agenda as it were. (sorry hadn't linked the posts...memory like a...er what's it callled....er...oh yes a sieve :P )

• Like 2

Probably not very helpful........but 'three' a.d. activities seems an awful lot with a child who is 'struggling'.........

i absolutely agree! one is plenty. now/next board has worked well for me in past, and asd seems very likely. have a picture of what you want him to do e.g. collage for 1st activity or choice of two, then reward activity picture after. he doesn't get 2nd activity till 1st one done. good luck x

Certainly sounds like a child with some sen needs.

Sounds like you have worked hard to get the parents on board, egg shells therefore a must ;-)

The suggestion of mimicking his play sounds good to me. Observe. Copy alongside him. Add simple vocab into your play.( basically talking to yourself!) you are then exposing him to language and linking it to actions. I would also encourage children not to join your play for a period - let's face it many are pulled towards the activities we attend to. Showing two things... 1. It's ok to want to play alone and 2 you value that time. At some point you perhaps need to draw people in... Perhaps a card flipped from red( leave me alone) to gree ( join me). I feel you need to give this little chap ways to communicate his need to be alone and this could be a way if modelling it???

Do you have an outreach special school to pick brains of? Autism outreach?

Good luck x

I would be thinking along ASD lines here. I appreciate its almost impossible when the parents aren't onboard, but for the sake of the primary school, record all concerns on his file so that they have a solid starting point when seeking referral (which is much easier in a school than nursery setting).I would suggest PSED small games, to encourage interaction, however limited. Initially start with games focuseed around his area of interest, then expand.

Probably not very helpful........but 'three' a.d. activities seems an awful lot with a child who is 'struggling'.........

yes I agree this was what the area SEN wanted but I don't push for three if I can get one or even two I go with that! I think the problem is that when he is having a good day he can do quite a lot and apparently (no tongue in cheek here lol) he does wonders at home!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)