Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Talcum powder?

narnia

unnecessary? help neutralise the smell omitted? xD

Guess it depends on the reason given on instruction - I've learned to keep an open mind over the years - you just never know!

Had a letter today from a mum who says she is removing her child from us as she is now on maternity leave.............and because i didn't use talcum powder on her son's bottom at nappy changes. She claims he came home with nappy rash on a number of occasions because of this ( I am his Key person, so i change his nappy;he has never had nappy rash...this would be noted on his personal care record).

I don't use talcum powder.......never have, on my own, or any other child, for many reasons.

• Like 2

Had a letter today from a mum who says she is removing her child from us as she is now on maternity leave.............and because i didn't use talcum powder on her son's bottom at nappy changes. She claims he came home with nappy rash on a number of occasions because of this ( I am his Key person, so i change his nappy;he has never had nappy rash...this would be noted on his personal care record).

I don't use talcum powder.......never have, on my own, or any other child, for many reasons.

Oh for goodness sake.......and furthermore.......what a cheek (no pun intended) - so have you replied and put her straight?

had she provided it?

not wanting to belittle a parent's opinion but don't you just love it when they remove their child and pluck a random reason from out of the blue?

did she raise his nappy rash at each occasion (already know the answer to this as you've said he's never had it!)

is she wanting to avoid a payment in lieu of notice or something or could it just be hormones? Is she normally a reasonable parent or one with a history of things like this?

Guest sn0wdr0p

My sister is a nurse and she told her daughter in law not to use talc due to the link with cervical cancer. I recall reading about it myself some years ago.

Surely sudocrem or bepanthan is better for preventing nappy rash. I have never heard of anyone using talc for prevention as they are generally scented and could cause problems themselves.

Awwww finleysmaid; not suspicious (okay maybe alot, a little!) - just wise!! (and flippant, thick skinned, intolerant, firm, offended..i could go on in relation to things like Narnias situation!)

hope you get her told respond firmly and accordingly :ph34r:

Edited by gingerbreadman

I think if the parent has requested that talc be used on their child, then we should respect their wishes and do it. If they havent, and doesnt appear that they have, then why would we? I know that talc can be linked to cancer but so can most things. Ive used it on my children when they have come out of the bath.

The child is leaving anyway so I wouldnt worry about it but I would make Id put them straight first. I dont put anything on a childs bottom unless it has been requested and provided by the parent.

I looked after a child whos mother told others that I didnt changed the childs nappy. I only looked after the child in the mornings and it was dad who collected her (mum worked full time). He had no worries with the care the child recieved. Obviously I had to terminate our contract.

good luck