Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Same sex parents

Hi tracyA. Didn't want to read and run, but just wanted question why you feel this child needs additional support? We had a Child last year who had a Dad and a Daddy, and other than a quiet chat about Mother's Day activities, there was absolutely no difference in what we provided for him.

Hi Cait, On reflection I see I have not worded my comment as I intended! rushing! the child itself does not require any additional support and we are not providing for the child differently. The parents have asked how they can work with us to answer questions the child is beginning to ask and we want to ensure we are being fully inclusive in meeting the range of different families we have in our nursery.

we have also had this situation and as you said it's not the child as such that requires support (nor the other children to be fair, accepting as they are - we have a lot to learn from them!) but other adults from time to time grrr! It's lovely that they've reached out for advice :P

I guess fortunately (in some respects, not all) many children find themselves in 'unique' family situations these days so don't tend to feel as 'different' compared to when I were a lass at school, back in the day when divorce was rare, all/most parents were married, families were 2.4 children (ish) and same sex couples were unheard of...how times have changed and moved on

could you find some pictures and use this as a base for your own book

Hi tracy. There are some good books covering different families including children in same sex families, on Letterbox Library

http://www.letterboxlibrary.com/acatalog/FAMILIES.html

Todd Parr's Family book' is about all sorts of families.

And as gingerbreadman said, you can always do your own book/photos of celebrating different families

I haven't used them myself but Stonewall did send a lovely poster to school with images of lots of different families - living with grandparents, single parents, same sex parents etc etc. If you google Stonewall and 'Different families, same love' you should find some info. Might be a bit old for your children but might be something useful in there too,

Last time we had ofsted they questioned where 'our book on same sex parents' was. I know, you couldnt make it up.

Anyway, we did buy a couple of hardback books which were just normal stories with two mummies and two daddies to go in our library book so these go out if the children chose them.

Last time we had ofsted they questioned where 'our book on same sex parents' was. I know, you couldnt make it up.

eee honestly!! and yet any other time they are 'non committal' with their opinions!

Does anybody else feel as though sometimes they only choose books because of the 'equality' aspect! (and then become very precious about it getting damaged!) :ph34r:

my flippant answer <in my mind, don't think I'd dare say it like this to Ofsted!> would be 'look around - we don't need the book - we have the children for goodness sake!'

I do take this seriously but sometimes I also think children wouldn't notice that a child has a green face and three arms - it's the adults that push 'negatives' on to them - children (young ones anyway) are soo accepting (in my experiences)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)