Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Exploration area

Hi

I need your help!

I set up an exploration table last term which has been quite successful. On the table I have a templated area which includes 2 magnets, 2 mirrors, a colour viewer with a number of colour paddles, 2 teleidoscopes and 3 magnifing glasses. Then there is a space on the table for objects. This is where I struggle - what sort of things do you have out in your exploration areas? I have shells, cones, pebbles etc at the moment but short of buying something (which I MUST STOP DOING!), I struggle to think of new things - even if I take into account interests. Also, do you have a permanent selection of natural things, then add one or 2 new things from time to time?

It is just one table, so not much space! (oh, and I have made a textured board at the back which different materials)

Thanks

Green Hippo x

There was a thread on here once which I will try and find later about a board that had things like bolts and safety chains for doors and other fixings like hook thingies used on gates etc

Also fixed laces so they could tie and untie them and buttons and loops.

Will see if I can find previous discussion when I have cleared my inbox :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

What age range do you teach?

I am also interested in this as we have an 'exploration area' in our nursery and I have decided to focus on it as an area to develop as observations suggested it wasn't as well used as other areas (and am now looking at it for a masters dissertation!).

It might be worth thinking about the purpose of your exploration table. Also, is there space for children to have photos/ drawings etc up with post-it notes where adults have recorded children's thinking and reflections on what they were doing? These can be re-visited and added to and give children the opportunity to share their learning with others, including parents.

We have some mirror trays (Tesco or Sainsburys vouchers) and have pebbles, ribbons, shells, seed pods (cheep from £ stores pot purri bags), wooden reels, pine cones. As well as magnifying glasses we have a few of those view thingies that split what you are looking at into many images (fly eye view)

Thanks for all your replies!

SueJ - those 'fly-eye' things are call 'Teleidoscopes' - I went on a mission to find out what they are called! Do you just have a general 'stock' of interesting things in trays for children to look at, adding new things when/if necessary?

I think I need to build up a good basic provision then I won't feel so pressured to find something new all the time!

Thanks again,

Green Hippo x

I'm ashamed to say this but last week my 22 year old son asked me if there's anything inside a potato!!! He said he knew there wasn't but should he do anything before he cooked it!!!

Maybe a discovery table of fruit, veg and other plants, especially flowers, you could source them cheaply enough :)

Well as ours was being torn apart and the glitter rocks used as missiles and everything else put in a buggy, shopping trolley or wheelbarrow or failing a pushy toy then a bag, I decided last week to put the lot away!! We would lay it all out neatly first thing then 10 minutes after they were in the whole lot was spread from one end of the hall to the other or hidden in all of the above.

Some of our little ones just cannot cope with things like that at the moment

• Like 2

Thanks for all your help.

I think the most important things that I have on the table are actually the 'tools' e.g. the colour paddles, magnifying glasses etc which the children use around the setting, exploring the things they are interested in.

I will have a proper sort-out of permanent 'interesting' things like shells, pebbles, etc. Make sure there's a plant and then enhance when and if necessary. E.g. next half term I'm going to get a couple of little fish for the 'pet' theme.

Cheers,

Green Hippo x

Thanks for all your help.

I think the most important things that I have on the table are actually the 'tools' e.g. the colour paddles, magnifying glasses etc which the children use around the setting, exploring the things they are interested in.

I will have a proper sort-out of permanent 'interesting' things like shells, pebbles, etc. Make sure there's a plant and then enhance when and if necessary. E.g. next half term I'm going to get a couple of little fish for the 'pet' theme.

Cheers,

Green Hippo x

This is how my preschool children are at the moment, we are always having great ideas but they just do not work with this group of children at all ;-(

How about small transparent plastic containers (houmus(sp?) pots are ideal) with dead (found!) insects in - placed with magnifying glasses and factual books on mini-beasts are usually very popular.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)