Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What time do you arrive and leave?

We have a new Head this term and suddenly staff have started arriving earlier and staying later. Our new Head hasn't specified a arrival and leaving time so I just wanted to hear what other people do. I arrive at 8.00am ( our school day starts at 9.05am) and usually leave at around 4.30pm/4.45pm ( our day finishes at 3.25pm. I often take work home but would prefer to have a break and my tea and then do an hour or so later. Does this sounds reasonable? Can our Head state set times to arrive and leave?

No.

You should have a directed time allocation--although my HTs have rarely given one and you have to be in school at least 15 minutes before and after the children as a basic I think. 1296 directed hours during the school year.

It is very difficult though, as like you I like to have a break at the end of the school day and I too worked with a workaholic HT who made me feel very guilty, if only by inference.

You sound as if you are doing more than enough to me.

To hec with what other people are doing... don't get on a guilt trip and feel that you should be doing more than you do. Which judging by your hours and what directed time means then you are doing more than your fair share!

Guest LornaW

apple is spot on it is not the time you arrive and leave it is the quality of your work! Your worktime sounds fine so don't join the bandwagon to impress the new HT do that with the quality of your work and teaching!

Lorna

Sorry, for being a bit thick here but if you are employed surely you have contracted hours. I don't think I would be too impressed if my staff thought they have done a quality days work and went home early...... I expect them to ensure quality at all times.

Obviously, I have been working in the private sector too long......

Although Cilla9 - working 8 - 5ish would seem enough without taking work home.

Sorry, for being a bit thick here but if you are employed surely you have contracted hours. I don't think I would be too impressed if my staff thought they have done a quality days work and went home early...... I expect them to ensure quality at all times. Obviously, I have been working in the private sector too long...... Although Cilla9 - working 8 - 5ish would seem enough without taking work home.

Teacher's pay and conditions are not quite like that...you are required to do the directed time hours but also undertake any additional hours required to do your job!

Specified working hours

62.4 A teacher employed full-time must be available to perform such duties at such times and such places as may be specified by the head teacher (or, where the teacher is not assigned to any one school, by the employer or the head teacher of any school in which the teacher may for the time being be required to work as such) for 1265 hours, those hours to be allocated reasonably throughout those days in the school year on which the teacher is required to be available for work.

62.5 Sub-paragraph 4 applies to a teacher employed part-time, except that the number of hours the teacher must be available for work must be that proportion of 1265 hours which corresponds to the proportion of total remuneration the teacher is entitled to be paid pursuant to paragraph 46.

62.6 In addition to the hours a teacher is required to be available for work under sub-paragraph 4 or 5, as the case may be, a teacher must work such reasonable additional hours as may be necessary to enable the effective discharge of the teacher’s professional duties, including, in particular planning and preparing courses and lessons; and assessing, monitoring, recording and reporting on the learning needs, progress and achievements of assigned pupils.

The degree of reasonableness would be the question I would think. However if you have responibilities beyond just being a class teacher then it is also different.

I've known staff arrive at the crack of dawn and faff about for hours, I've known staff who just work solidly on something for an hour and then go...it's the quality not quantity of time use.

Cx

Edited by catma
  • Like 1

we are obliged to do 10 mins before and after school starts/ends. but i don't know any teacher who does this. and of course stay for meetings etc. but should be given notice of when these are. i wouldn't feel obliged to stay longer to impress as you'll just tire yourself out and not be at your best for the children the next day. and i would say you are working enough extra hours already...........

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)