Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Profile data collection

Hi – I am hoping you can help me out with a question regarding the EYFS profile.

I have been reading and studying the ARA documents and exemplification materials in my holidays and cannot get my head around exactly HOW the data is to be collected.

I understand the 1, 2, 3 A system that is going to be the judgement against each learning goal but have West Sussex or anyone else got a ‘form’ that we are to fill in or am I jumping the gun too early?!

I have read that it says

“EYFS providers may use any system to collect and submit EYFS data, as long as it enables practitioners to record completed profile data for every child at the end of the EYFS. However, EYFS providers should agree the preferred system with their local authority”.

I enquired on the Foundation stage website and this was their answer:

There is no set form instead it is at the discretion of the individual settings to decided how they record this information. There may have been further information provided by your local authority about how they recommend that the data is to be collected but you would need to check with them. If not then the setting you work in should have in place a form or system by which they will be collecting the information required.

Have I missed the agreed West Sussex format please or do you know if there is one widely being used or not published yet etc?

Many thanks for your time

Sam :D

Hi sam

Im not West Sussex, but some LAs are using the new eprofile. Could you contact your LA and ask what their plans are, unless we have any other west sussex members who can shed some light for you.

Hi Mundia and thanks for your reply. I think that is what I will do next - contact the LA to see what they are doing and some of my other EYP's in my network too may be able to help out. Thanks very much x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, read your post and hopefully we will get lots of people responding to this. The E profile is now available from its web site but is no longer free and Local Authorities can purchase this at a cost of £40 per school (I think). It is an excellent package and I used the free trial version before Christmas. I work in Lancashire who have brought out their own version called the EYFS PupilTracker which schools can buy. I've started to use it and there are some problems which the tech people are trying to sort. Also only part of the package is available so far. I have to say that so far I prefer the updated E Profile. I would be interested to hear if any other Forum members have been using the Lancs. version and what their thoughts are.

I am also wondering about how to organise evidence and can't believe that I have to have evidence for all 17 ELG's. Does anyone else read the moderation details this way?

Hi, read your post and hopefully we will get lots of people responding to this. The E profile is now available from its web site but is no longer free and Local Authorities can purchase this at a cost of £40 per school (I think). It is an excellent package and I used the free trial version before Christmas. I work in Lancashire who have brought out their own version called the EYFS PupilTracker which schools can buy. I've started to use it and there are some problems which the tech people are trying to sort. Also only part of the package is available so far. I have to say that so far I prefer the updated E Profile. I would be interested to hear if any other Forum members have been using the Lancs. version and what their thoughts are.

I am also wondering about how to organise evidence and can't believe that I have to have evidence for all 17 ELG's. Does anyone else read the moderation details this way?

Hi there

Although I'm no longer an EYC (LA decided we were surplus to requirements) I will be part of the moderation team this year (along with the rest of my ex EYC colleagues - surprise surprise) and our understanding is that we will indeed have to moderate all 17 ELGs in every school we visit. We have a number of three form entry schools in our area - 'tis going to be fun! I'm on moderator training next week so will feed back if I hear any different. Bear in mind that you don't need copious amounts of written evidence, practitioner knowledge is paramount.

D

x

Edited by Guest

Thanks for all your replies - I have contacted my advisor who said:

"I have forwarded it to the moderation and assessment managers for their attention as I want to ensure you get the correct information about the briefings and events which are being planned. "

So hopefully I may get some more info from West Sussex as it seems they perhaps don't actually have an answer at the moment.

Will share if I get any more info.

Sam

To be fair the STA have not yet given us moderation managers the briefings for our information. So we are just going on what it says in the handbook and ARA just like you. When they have held the briefinngs I'm sure we'll all be informing you all over the place!

Thanks Catma - I did think I might be jumping the gun a bit but just didn't want to be left behind! Will wait and see what happens.....................

• 2 months later...

Our school has always used SIM's for tracking from Y1 to Y6 but until the new EYFS was introduced the reception classes used E-Profiles. E-Profile data was easy to collate and read and ultimately, easy to send to the LEA at the end of YR. In January we were added to the SIM's tracking system and had to backfill our entry and December profiles (nightmare). They have just been updated again and will be updated in June in readiness for collection (as per ARA documents). It would have been a good idea for the powers that be to have had assessment arrangements in place at the same time and ready for use when the new EYFS document was launched and not months after. Even though we now have a system to show progress and deliver graphs etc we are still in the dark as to how we will deliver the results. Is it just me or is the only thing that's constant in EY's teaching is having to work everything out from scratch? Every new initiative is aimed at 'whole school' but actually only includes Y1 to Y6!!!

Hi Hamster,

Thanks for your reply. I have actually been 'selected' for profile moderation this summer so have just attended the training session on how West Sussex would actually like us to fill it in!! I have to have mine all completed by the first week of May and the moderators will choose 5 to come and moderate us on. There is no focus this year, they will be looking at all 17ELG's apparently although how they will manage to interview us about 5 profiles and 17 ELGs in 1 afternoon I'm not sure! The key point for West Sussex is that data will be collected by exceeding representing 3 points, expecting 2 points and emerging 1 point. Therefore being able to give a score in data terms to analyse. To achieve a GLD (good learning development I think it was called), children need to achieve 29 points. There will also be class averages to compare and profile etc. Looking forward to filling in all my profiles ready for May 1st and the characteristics of learning supporting document for each child ready for 1st week May!! Hope that is of some help.

Hi Seagersam,

Thanks for the info ~ sounds as if a numeric system is the way to find who has or hasn't achieved a GLD. I sometimes feel as if YR children miss out when data has to be in so early in the year as another half term could make all the difference to the outcomes. How often do you see the penny drop with children after the assessment has gone in?

Good luck with moderation.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)