Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Head lice

I have 2 siblings that have constant head lice all the time.The elder child started as a 2 year old funded child, had head lice from day 1.I have tried offering advice, mum is using nitty gritty, conditioner, repellant and lotions..Children are constantly scratching. I know head lice is not serious but I feel sorry for the sisters and all the other children. I know all children may catch them, have treated my own children and granchildren but most parents do manage to get rid of them.We are constantly conscious of them resting their heads near other children and adults and I feel thats really bad of me.We remind parents to tie back their childrens hair anyway.Health visitor does also monitor family for other reasons. The family have quite a few different amphibian pets, which I know need lots of looking after but that is their choice. Any suggestions, I have already provided a leaflet, verbal advice.

When my younger son was still going to the childminder, she had a child who frequently got headlice... She knew mum was a single parent, busy with work & the children & housework... Childminder asked mum for permission to treat the child, which she got. So she would play hairdressers and treat the headlice in one.

• Like 1

it might be worth a trip to the doctors...they can go throught the whole process and explain to Mum about treating the whole family. (if money is an issue they may also prescribe treatment which they would then get free) In my experience nitty gritty is not fanatastic and bug busting only works if you are VERY thorough (my hairdresser says it doesn't work at all!!) Someone in the household must be reinfesting the others so all the family need to be involved...might this cause an issue with dad's older brthers???

I do not like using chemicals on children but for persistent headlice it may be the only option and headlice can be quite serious especially if you are low in iron. It will also make the children uncomfortable , they may be irritable because they haven't slept well and it could effect their learning if they are tired and lethargic.

Hope that helps.....you've got me scratching now!! <_< :rolleyes:

Yes I have already suggested going to the doctor and she tells me that she has already been.That was during the summer term. Maybe they do try and get rid of head lice but do not realise that it is a very tedious job and can take a long time.I tell the parents that the children are uncomfortable and irritable with it and all they say is" yes we know what it feels like we have it as well". I really think that they don't actually do much because both the childrens hair is not brushed, just tied back. I saw a programme on the television where the hospital used a hoover to remove head lice. Bring back the nit nurse!!!!

Thankyou for the suggestion I might suggest another visit to the doctor because children may be lacking in iron, they must be the older child has had them for 2 years. I just feel its not fair on other families( use of chemicals and the cost)

Try Hedrin Once. It is quite simply fantastic. It is very expensive, but the family might be able to get it on prescription.Does the job in one glorious hit.

And remind them to do the whole family! I was fine tooth combing my hair in the shower, thinking about your family and remembering when my nephew had them. My sister did not have lice (I checked), and every day when I got my nephew from school, I'd fine tooth comb his hair and get maybe a couple out, but every morning after cuddles with daddy he'd have loads! Daddy treated, problem solved... :rolleyes:

Children have come in today and I can see that their has has been brushed. Mum said all family have been treated.I didn't want to be the nit police. I had no reason to because the children were not scratching their head all day.

Mum says they must of caught fit rom from pre-school because the children do not mix with any other children.She might well be right. I have noticed head lice on a few other children but parents usually get rid of it with 1 or 2 treatments. I just wonder if some children are more prone to it than others. Both the children play alongside others without getting really close enough to touch heads with them or enjoy being at the art table all day. If they were children that liked snuggling up with others under blankets in the tents it would be more of a problem. in our setting

Fingers crossed its been treated properly this time.

Why do adults always scratch their head when they are talking about it.

Children have come in today and I can see that their has has been brushed. Mum said all family have been treated.I didn't want to be the nit police. I had no reason to because the children were not scratching their head all day.

Mum says they must of caught fit rom from pre-school because the children do not mix with any other children.She might well be right. I have noticed head lice on a few other children but parents usually get rid of it with 1 or 2 treatments. I just wonder if some children are more prone to it than others. Both the children play alongside others without getting really close enough to touch heads with them or enjoy being at the art table all day. If they were children that liked snuggling up with others under blankets in the tents it would be more of a problem. in our setting

Fingers crossed its been treated properly this time.

Why do adults always scratch their head when they are talking about it.

Oh that's good news! :1b

And, yes I'm scratching now xD

Many years ago I had two little girls with persistent head lice.......their father was a GP and he was adamant that they weren't to be treated and said - and I quote "they only bother adults and the children are not affected or harmed at all" - needless to say I lost whatever respect I had for him :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)