Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing or reading?

SmileyPR

Sorry that I bother again, but your kind help will be greatly appreciated.

We were looking at some d.m. and were in doubt of why these appear under "Writing", especially since they already appear in "Reading" in the 40 - 60+.

• Continues a rhyming string.

• Hears and says the initial sound in words. (maybe hears and writes?)

• Can segment (pre-writing) the sounds in simple words and blend (pre-reading) them together.

• Links sounds to letters, naming and sounding the letters of the alphabet. (maybe 'and writing the corresponding letter sound?)

Probably there is a simple explanation and we are just 'unfocused' in these days... LOL ;)

Edited by SmileyPR

looked at this this afternoon with my team...the feeling was that rhyming strings for reading were to do with noticing this in texts and in speech (the cat sat on the mat he was fat ) whereas the writing was when they are able to write a rhyming string so using the at ending can produce a list of words fat/cat/mat etc.....so i would think the 'reading one might be nearer 48 months and the writing one might be later at 58 months (but would still be under the 40-60 month section!)

....just an idea i'll wait to hear what others say though!!

• Like 1

Thanks Finleysmaid! The situation in our international school in Europe is that most of our children have ESL, so they only start with Phase 2 in my class (Reception). My youngest child will become 5 in December. The rest are already 5 (so 60+) and ELG The teacher in the previous class works a lot Phase 1 throughout the year, I reinforce during the first half term. Almost half of my class had not been in our school before and came from many other countries and curriculums, so many different backgrounds. Now they all feel secure (working more with 2 possible SEN cases) and full of enthusiasm with Songbirds and other phonics activities. I am not putting any emphasis on writing now until they have worked more within Phase 2. We will be working 4 letters per week. If there is any child that shows any signs of being prepared to writing words, surely enough I will do so.... like one or two of the boys :1b .

They are in writing because you have to say it in order to write it. children are not expected to be able to continue a writing string by writing it, even though it is in writing. It's all about being able to speak it in order to write it.

They are in writing because you have to say it in order to write it. children are not expected to be able to continue a writing string by writing it, even though it is in writing. It's all about being able to speak it in order to write it.

but then whats the difference in the Dm's?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)