Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Using quantities and objects to add or subtract

I'm having a bit of a mental block. Just reading through the ELG for numbers and I don't think I'm clear about what this sentence means:

Using quantities and objects, they add and subtract two single-digit numbers and count on or back to find the answer.

It's just the 'quantities' bit I'm not sure of - could someone give me an example of what that means?

Also, does it seem to anyone else that the ELG expectations are higher than those for level 1? I don't know whether I'm interpreting it wrongly but comparing it to APP exemplification there are things like ELG: add two single-digit numbers, Level 1: add numbers of objects with totals to ten. Wouldn't the ELG totals have the potential to be more than 10?

I often use the 'you've got, I've got...ie have say 5 of something each and say but I want 6 how many do you need to give me, but usually only touch on this towards end of preschool for the ones ready to go there, (as more formal calculating activities rather than during routines)but if they were given 2 groups of single figures between 6 and 9 then yes going above 10, now the calculating has been included in 'numbers' the elg's have become much harder to reach than previously.....do you still have the same profile levels as before revised eyfs ? I always thought some of those statements weren't that consistent, a statement in 40-60m might only have been level 2 and vice versa :/

Edited by mouse63

Yes there has been a raising of the bar in the expectations for numbers and it is aligned in parts a bit more with the previous scale point 9 descriptor. (Having said that practically every person I ever met/moderated said their children were quite capable of ordering and using numbers to 20 anyway). The NC hasn't been revised fully yet so I anticipate when it is, then we will see an uplift within the NC level 1 expectations to reflect the EYFS.

2 single digit numbers means addition and subtraction within 10 which was what we expected previously so 8 + 2 would be 2 single digit numbers. This is still within the previous expectations of using numers to 10 for adding and subtracting. Quantities means (I think) knowing the quantity expressed by thenumber/ digit, ie the 3ness of 3 plus the 2ness of 2 makes the 5ness of 5.

The application of doubling, halving, and sharing will probably relate to numbers upto 20 as it is part of the whole goal. All 3 parts of the ELG must be taken together rather than separate statements.

The DfE are suggesting the ARA and the exemplification are due around about now, but LA moderators aren't having any briefings from them until the spring term.

Cx

Edited by catma
  • Like 1

I'm also glad the calculations element has been included in Number - I would often get comments along the lines of 'How can a child who's getting 9 at the end of reception not be getting a 3 at the end of KS1' and I'd be pointing out that the 9 only applied to number and they hadn't got that for Calculations and there's a world of difference between the two!

Catma, thank you for the explanation of quantity, that makes sense. So often when I'm reading things I find myself querying words that I thought I understood!

I'm looking forward to the exemplification being 'visible' I know we don't need to do the assessment until the end of the year (and no one is expecting me to) but I often used to look at the profile handbook to check that my understanding of a statement was the same as others when I was teaching towards it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)