Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning for prime/specific areas

I'm having a bit of a 'blank' moment. I'm just trying to put together an overview of which objectives I'd like to focus on next half term but am wondering about the prime areas. I tend to find that we naturally work with children to develop wherever they area in each aspect of these all the time, throughout all activities so I don't often plan specifically for them - except for physical development.

Should I be? What do the rest of you do? I'm feeling that if I put the prime areas in too my planning becomes somewhat unwieldy and there then becomes more emphasis than I'm comfortable with on adult-led activities.

I'm going to save my 'blank' moment about characteristics of learning for another time by which point I'm hoping you'll have forgotten how stupid I am!

• Like 1

Hi HelenD26.

I generally use the terms, 'Adult supported and Modelling' next to my learning intentions for PSED as these aspects, as you say, are usually covered during the natural flow of a session. Then I jot a couple of strategies ( so all staff use same approach!). IFor instance at the moment we have that 'twos company, threes a crowd' thing going on, so we will talk to children when this is observed about being friendly and how 'so an so' may feel when you say he cant play........ I tend to leave adult LED activities to areas where a practical skill is needing development.

Its just ticking boxes really, we KNOW we do this, but now 'THEY' will know....cos its written down!!! Hate planning but have an Advisor who is RETURNING for Quality Review....and likes to see.......a plan!

So no, dont really plan for these areas, like you, go with whats happening/needed at the time but showing willing by briefly making note of it! Trust I will get an A* .....: ) haha

Thanks Rafa, you've helped me feel like I'm not going mad! I have a sentence at the top of my 'plan' which says that aspects of PSED and CL will be covered through interaction with children in activities for all areas of learning.

• Like 1

The first 3 weeks of of our planning following summer hols are psed based, call it 'finding our feet' this is broken down into: getting to each other, forming relationships, gaining confidence, becoming independent, learning to share and take turns, exploring our environment, showing awareness of routines and boundaries, just arrow it across 3 weeks then add that we continue to promote and support children in their psed. I'm sure most of you can see it for the cop out to plan much adult led in first few weeks it is :P, but parents love it :D ....and it does give staff time to just get to know the new children and support the returners to be 'the big ones' without tying them to areas/activities.

• Like 1

If you use the positive relationships part of the characteristics it very clearly exemplifies how adults support those particular skills.

Cx

Catma - are you meaning if I use this 'in my own head' so to speak or are you suggesting I write something down?

Depends what you are required to do...They make a good focus for the PSED/CL aspects in relation to planning how adults will support them outside of directed activities, so could be used to supplement your overarching objectives for next half term? Creating and thinking critically focus a lot on CL for example.

Cx

Splendid advice here! You're in a school, aren't you, Helen?

In DN we tend to concentrate purely on the Primes in baby and toddler rooms, bringing in Specifics as the children become older, in pre-schoool, and are developing as 'expected' in the Primes. By the time these children go to school, I would be expecting most of them to be fine with your first suggestion and replies. A kind of reversal of priorities? ( Not that I'm suggesting they be ignored!!) After all, if there is a specific need they will quite likely have already been flagged up as potentially having additional needs.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)