Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Just wondered....

Devondaisy

My son is in year 9 and had an injury in a PE lesson at schol on Monday. We were called to the school as they thought he had broken his arm/wrist. We took him to hospital where he was x-rayed and they said it was just sprained. Today I had a call saying the x-ray has been reviewed and they think there is a fracture, so to bring him in. He is now in plaster for 6-8 weeks as it appears there is a fracture to the wrist. So, ignoring NHS incompetance for a moment (!) I was just wondering if I need to inform the school, as this happened in one of their lessons? In pre-school I'm sure we need to inform Ofsted if a child sustains an injury whilst in our care resulting in a broken bone, although I could be wrong. Does anyone know?? I'm not at all worried, as these things happen, and I would rather he was physically active than not, but just wondered if they needed to know, as they're on half term now.

Hmm, yes definately in pre-school

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-serious-accidents-injuries-and-deaths-registered-providers-must-notify-ofsted-an

and to be honest I think yes in schools - I think they have to report to RIDDOR - although it depends how he got the injury...

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/edis1.pdf

HTH

FF

My brother did the same when he was around that age. We were told that the X-rays develop better next day. Not sure of the truth of it but it menat he spent 3 days unable to get the lid of the biscuit tin!!

It's been a bit like that here - I have had to cut up his food for him all week! Think the doc was a bit shocked when he pulled up his sleeve with his teeth rather than using his poorly hand! I will let them know when he goes back after half term then, just in case they need to record it somewhere or report it, as it was in a PE lesson (although he carried on regardless, the teacher knew nothing!!)

Funny how things are different in pre-school compared with school - sometimes this really surprises me.

as to the x ray.. some fractures are hard to spot and it the first review was a doctor having a look at it could very easily been missed.. when a radiographer checked the xray that would be when it was picked up... our hospital now has them all on computer so any department can see them, but again it may not be obvious unless double checked. it is not unusual for small fractures to be missed, hence the double check .

In our school all accidents of this nature have to be reported and recorded. There should be an accident book for this kind in the office. Ask the school bursar or teacher to check the policy. I would be most surprised if they do not have something like this. Hope your son's recovery goes well.